More from City Hall

Could it get any crazier at Birmingham City Hall? Of course it could. @BhamWeekly is now tweeting:

Press conference at city hall. Smitherman to read statement saying Hoyt did not keep his word on Council President vote.

Smitherman says city needs stability, honesty, someone whose word can be trusted. Says Hoyt pledged his vote to her last night.

Says her budget review process would have reduced city department needs by $9 million dollars. Says #bham is a vibrant city, not gloomy.

Kyle asks if Hoyt is legally pro-tem, as Royal became Mayor as soon as he was elected Council Pres & could not vote in pro tem elect.

Royal, who became Mayor, might not legally be allowed to have made that vote for Hoyt as pro tem. Would mean 5-4 vote was not valid.

Smitherman says she got played today, politics at its worst. But is a Christian & says she’ll be done w/ this issue when presser over.

Smitherman says she knows Patrick Cooper was calling councilors trying to get them to vote for Royal for council president.

Smitherman won’t say who Cooper called. Says she is tired, is going home to prepare for thanksgiving. Presser over.

So.  Steven Hoyt allegedly stabbed Carole Smitherman in the back.  He may not be the legally elected President Pro Tem. Will there be a real challenge, or will the victors just shove Smitherman off to the side and move on?  What happened to the calm that was supposed to follow the Larry storm?

7 Responses to “More from City Hall”

1. Tricia says:

Is there any truth to Cooper’s involvement? Because I’m not a Smitherman fan, but Royal is an assberet. So I might have to do some re-thinking about my vote on Dec. 8th, if it’s true that Cooper’s putting his weight behind that faction of the council.

I was told by a third party who would likely know that Cooper did line up votes for Royal with promises of support once he’s elected. However, I don’t have any way to confirm or refute that. It makes sense that he’d be maneuvering to take away Carole Smitherman’s power base, and I expect Steven Hoyt was happy to go along with that.

3. David says:

That’s ridiculous! Carole is a sore loser! She played dirty politics and for once, it blew up in her face. I know from several city department heads that she framed Vance Bowie and fired several others as part of a scheme to make it look like she was cleaning up city hall when the truth is she was spending more money than she admitted to. Carole is a liar and got what the streets call “street justice”. You play others and instead you got played!!

4. Joe says:

Even more craziness with Hoyt being elected illegally to Pres Pro Tem. I just don’t have time to write about it.

5. [...] Birmingham News has finally noticed what the Birmingham Weekly figured out on Tuesday — Steven Hoyt’s election as City Council President Pro Tem may not be [...]

6. Tricia says:

…sigh. I get the “practicality” of the maneuvering if it happened, but yuck. :-(

Yeah, I know that’s the way it’s done, but it isn’t fun to watch.