Headlines you never thought you’d see

“Some GOP gubernatorial candidates run to right of Roy Moore on religion.”

That would be Kay Ivey, by the way, and not Bradley Byrne. Although ALL of the  Republican candidates favor prayer in public schools. Even Artur is on board with prayer, although he thinks it should be “nondenominational.” And since the P-R didn’t follow up with a question about where he stands on praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I have to assume that we’re defining “nondenominational” as “not mentioning Jesus Christ, well at least not by name.”

It’s going to be hell living smack in the middle of the Republican Rump.

8 Responses to “Headlines you never thought you’d see”

Oh, good grief! There is plenty of prayer in public schools. Anyone — teacher, student, administrator, support staff — can pray anytime they wish, and I suspect they do. This is, after all, the buckle of the Bible belt. Don’t Ivey and her cohorts ever read the Bible? Here, I’ll even use the KJV translation, much beloved of fundies:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Forcing kids to close their eyes and bow their heads while someone pontificates over the school’s PA system just doesn’t strike me as very prayerful. But then again I am one of those EEEEEEvil Librulstm.

And YAY — Del posted!

2. Joe says:

But Bradley Byrne’s quote was just plain awful. “I think there are parts of the Bible that are meant to be literally true and parts that are not.”

That is precisely the problem, because it allows them to condemn the gays but continue to eat shellfish and wear blended fabric and such.

Exactly, Joe. And now that I’ve actually read the linked article, I see this:

“We welcome people of all faiths, but at the same time, the standard for America is under the Judeo-Christian principles,” said state Treasurer Kay Ivey.

Only Jewish and Christian religious displays should be allowed on government property, she said.

If Kay Ivey doesn’t recognize a violation of the establishment clause, she has no business holding any public office. It is pretty scary when Roy Moore sounds like the voice of reason.

“…when Roy Moore sounds like the voice of reason.”

You know, that’s really funny, but for some reason I can’t seem to laugh.

5. Helen Rivas says:

It looks like we not only need constitutional reform in Alabama but also constitutional INform. . . Don’t they teach civics?

6. Tom in Lazybrook says:

Prediction: Panderer extraordinare Artur Davis (“D”) will run to the right of all of them.

While Davis is definitely running to the right — and making me want to smack him silly (metaphorically, of course) — I don’t believe he could get to the right of most of the Republican candidates. He may not support marriage equality, but I haven’t heard him parroting Moore and advocating the death penalty for LGBT people.