Learning from My Mistakes

a/k/a “Week 3 Has Kicked My Ass.”

cartoon_runnerLate last Sunday afternoon, I finished Week 2 (run 3, walk 3, 5 cycles, 30 minutes total).  On Monday at noon, I started Week 3 (run 5, walk 2-1/2, 4 cycles, 30 minutes total).  That was my first mistake.  At my age and level of fitness, less than 24 hours is not sufficient recovery time.

Second mistake?  Trying to break in new shoes at the same time.  No matter how comfortable they are, it takes a while for them to shape themselves to actual feet.  Ouch!

Our office was closed on Tuesday, so I spent the day watching inauguration coverage, cooking, and finding creative ways to get up every time I had to retrieve a pot from the lower cabinets.  My right knee was giving me fits.

All of that and some last minute errands led me to skip Wednesday’s run and wait till Thursday.  I felt pretty good when I got done, which led to the next mistake.  Here’s a clue: if you tell Dr. Renée about your sore knee that was already creaking on the stairs even before you started running and she asks, “Do you think you need a knee sleeve?”, ace-knee-bracedon’t be all brave and say no, hoping for the best.  Just go straight to the Rite-Aid and get one.  Don’t wait three days — and run again — before you succumb to common sense.

Anyway, today I technically finished Week 3, but I think I’ll take advantage of the option to repeat a week.  I’m not quite ready for run 7, walk 3, 3 cycles, 30 minutes total.

****

All my whining aside, this is a good program, and I’m amazed at how quickly I’ve been able to increase my running time.  If you’re interested, check it out here (PDF).

6 Responses to “Learning from My Mistakes”

I want to know more about the knee sleeve. I thought you only wore something like that after a definite injury. I’ve been having problems with a knee (brought on, I think, by an entire evening of walking in heels) *Del looks earnestly into camera* “Could a knee sleeve help me?”

I think it would help, because it stabilizes the knee and provides some extra support. I wore mine Sunday afternoon and all day yesterday, and my knee feels better. I bought the lovely model pictured above, which is an Ace TekZone Open Patella Knee Brace, primarily because it was the more comfortable of the two options offered at my local Rite-Aid.

Walking in heels — ow, ow, ow! Never a good idea. :)

This program is da bomb. Thanks Renee.

4. Renee says:

You’re welcome.

Ya’ll are so inspiring! I love it when I can motivate folks. Now, if only I can motivate Jennifer to blog every day.

ANd that is some fancy-dancy knee brace from the Rite Aid. Glad you got to try on the various models first.

5. Helen says:

I’ll stick to fast walking. My knees complained after I took up fencing in college, but quitting fixed that and they’ve been fine–knocking on wood–ever since. Now, if my shoulder would stop hurting. . . .

Keep up your good work–of all kinds–Kathy!

Thanks, Helen! I love to walk, and I’d prefer it, but I’m trying to cram more workout into shorter time frame. And this makes me feel like I’m mastering something new. Fencing would be fun too. Hmmm…

I hope your shoulder feels better. Maybe I should send you to my massage therapist.

Renee, that brace is much prettier than the plain old white one that I knew would end up dingy. Have to keep my priorities straight. :)