Patricia Todd Named Freshman Legislator of the Year for 2008

A well-deserved honor:

In presenting the award [from the Democratic Caucus], Rep. Ken Guin, majority leader of the House, spoke of Todd’s “passion for the people she serves — particularly those in poverty — and the issues that face her District.”

Rep. Todd has won bipartisan support and praise for her work in establishing Alabama’s first Poverty Task Force and for her sponsorship of a permanent Alabama Poverty Commission.  Her efforts and leadership in this work has spurred the creation of numerous legislative initiatives including a bill that she will introduce in the coming session that dedicates a State funding source for public transportation and another calling for the creation of the state’s first Affordable Housing Trust Fund…

Rep. Todd blogs here at the Blues during the legislative session, and I’m looking forward to reading her perspective this year.

Congratulations!

6 Responses to “Patricia Todd Named Freshman Legislator of the Year for 2008”

I am so proud to be a supporter of Representative Todd. I wish I was in her district!

2. Loretta Nall says:

A very big congratulations to Rep. Todd!!

3. Helen says:

Yeah! She is doing an awesome job!

Last week she participated in an excellent forum on advocacy for public transportation.

And she’s introduced a bill to promote the use of public/various transportation alternatives to single-occupant vehicles. [it’s not online yet at http://www.legislature.state.al.us/prefiled/Prefiled.html yet, but should be next week]

Rep Todd requests comments and support. And she’s holding a Town Hall meeting on January 31st at 10 a.m. Linn-Henley Room of Downtown Bham Public Library. “Legislative issues to be discussed include:
    Poverty, Public Transportation, Constitutional Reform, Affordable Housing
    Education, Your Concerns”

4. wheeler says:

shame that in spite of her great work she’ll be targeted in the next cycle for no reason other than skin color.

That’s certainly possible, but her district is racially diverse, and she’s really impressed a lot of people with her dedication this term. It would take a very impressive challenger to keep her from winning re-election. I hope.

6. kayman says:

Wheeler, why you say something that ridiculous? I’m a black queer male, and I even know that Todd is relatively safe in District 54 for reelection. The only serious challenger was Gaynell Hendricks, who is now Jefferson County’s Tax Assessor-elect, so I don’t understand why you say that she would challenged because she is white?

As I’ve said, time and time again, covert racial bias and aversion on both sides of the pendulum is the world’s biggest yet hidden social ill.