How Does He Sleep at Night?

I’ve had my doubts about John McCain’s character ever since he kissed up to George W. Bush after the nastiness that was the 2000 South Carolina primary. Yeah, politics, strange bedfellows — I get that. But I could not cozy up to someone who allowed his campaign staff to go after my child. Not. Ever.

Now McCain is campaigning for Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), who faces a runoff against challenger Jim Martin. In 2002, Chambliss ran against incumbent Sen. Max Cleland, a triple amputee Vietnam War veteran, and had the unmitigated gall to question his patriotism. Unfortunately, the smear job worked, and Chambliss won the race. Here’s what John McCain said about Chambliss’ sleazy tactics at the time:

“I’d never seen anything like that ad,” McCain told CNN in 2003. “Putting pictures of Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden next to the picture of a man who left three limbs on the battlefield — it’s worse than disgraceful. It’s reprehensible.”

Yet McCain was in Georgia yesterday campaigning for Chambliss, a man who avoided military service (those bad knees haven’t slowed him down on the golf course, though), against Martin, a fellow Vietnam vet. He’s supporting Chambliss, who told his white base, “The other folks are voting,” and also said about black turnout for early voting, “There has always been a rush to the polls by African-Americans early…It has also got our side energized, they see what is happening.”

I’d call that reprehensible.

****

Georgia’s Senate runoff is scheduled for December 2. Click here to contribute to Jim Martin’s campaign. If you want to contribute to Chambliss, you’re at the wrong blog.

7 Responses to “How Does He Sleep at Night?”

1. Songbird says:

It’s disgraceful.

2. Almod says:

And just when I was starting to cozy up to Sen. McCain again… Good grief!

3. Cindi says:

Just goes to prove what a compromising sleaze bag McCain really is. I’m not surprised, nor am I impressed. Despite my appreciation and respect for his POW status, he needs to just go away.

4. Don says:

Party over principles – sadly something that politicians on both sides are guilty of at times.

5. Almod says:

I realize that John McCain isn’t the first politician to do this, and it happens on both sides of the aisle. I think the reason why so many people have such a strong reaction to John McCain is that we expect better of him in particular. For so long, he was the champion for so many moderates. He’s a war hero. We WANT to like him. Every time we start thinking, “Yay! We have OUR John McCain back! We know he’s going to pull the carpet out from under us, but hey! Let’s get our hopes back up! Let’s start loving him again!” Then of course, he does this stuff.

He’s messing with the moderates to the point where we feel bipolar.

6. Helen says:

And Chambliss voted against Ledbetter Fair Pay Act which would mean that employers get a free pass if they can keep pay discrimination secret for six months.

Jim Martin is for universal healthcare-Chambliss voted against CHIPS, he’s more environmentally oriented than oil-company shill Chamblis (“The Democrats caused high gas prices”), a moderate on immigration. Chambliss supports immigration–of the slave-labor type.

7. Bubi says:

igfxwi That’s way the bestest answer so far!