As Andrew Sullivan says, “A Good Question”

goodquestion

Here in Mobile, we have a snippy little joke about the “MGM Club”—”Married Gay Men.” There does seem to be a disproportionately large number of these marriages in my town. (I’d call them “mariages des convenances,” except I believe that term implies the wife’s knowledge of and cooperation with the arrangement; here, it seems like everybody except the wife knows, at least until the divorce.)

I’ve heard various explanations for this phenomenon, most having to do with inherited money and/or social position. So, I guess to answer the question posed by this Prop 8 protester, why the heck not? My daughter would be wealthy, established in society, and if the stereotype holds true, married to a congenial fellow who has terrific taste in home decor and always picks up his dirty socks.

But no. Since my daughter is heterosexual, I’d prefer that she marry a heterosexual man. And I’m sure that all the folks who voted for Proposition 8 feel the same way.¬† Where we differ, of course, is about what all those gay men & lesbians who don’t marry our daughters or sons are supposed to do about¬† their desire for an affectionate, committed, legal partnership.

(Sullivan’s blog post with the picture is here.)

9 Responses to “As Andrew Sullivan says, “A Good Question””

1. Cindi says:

The amazing thing is that on The View this week (I believe it was) Eliz and Sherri both said that gays HAD equal rights because we COULD marry, just not who we want. GRRRR!!!!! And, yep, the whole down low thing in Mobile is HUGE.

I wonder how Elizabeth and Sherri would feel if the law said they could only marry women. Hmmm? I bet they wouldn’t be so quick to defend it then.

3. Loretta Nall says:

That sign is HYSTERICAL!!! I love it!

Loud sustained applause.

5. Almod says:

You know… The sad part about that picture is that he’s quite the hottie…

Why can’t gay men just all be ugly? It makes me wonder if these people don’t vote for laws like Prop 8 because they feel like they can’t handle the competition.

Well Almod, I think to eliminate the competition, they would want the gay men to marry. That way, all the hotties would be unavailable, and the straight women would regretfully have to turn to their huntin’ fishin’ pot-bellied selves. From there it’s just a short step to “get me a beer, bitch” domestic bliss.

And as always, thank you Bill.

7. Andy says:

Around our house, we refer to them as Mountain Brook marriages as they tend to be fairly common in that particular tiny kingdom…

-A

Mountain Brook marriages – ouch! :)

9. Jennifer says:

Well, I mean gay people can be affectionate. They just can’t have sex or get married cuz that’s immoral. Or some crazy shit like that.