Minnesota Senate Race Recount?

The latest results from CNN show 100% of precincts counted and fewer than 600 votes separating Al Franken and Norm Coleman.

7 Responses to “Minnesota Senate Race Recount?”

I also saw something about a precinct that had run out of voter registration forms. I don’t see how they can do anything about that now, though.

What exactly does a recount mean, anyway? I know I sound igrent, but for goodness sake, don’t they count them carefully the first time? Is is that machines can make mistakes but people don’t? Seems like it might be the other way around.

I should have looked this up and linked it in the post — Minnesota law requires a recount when the margin is less than one half of one percent. This article says the recount won’t start till mid-month, and it doesn’t mention what kind of voting machines the state uses, although clearly there is some kind of paper trail. I suppose it’s possible a recount would find ballots that were read incorrectly, or not read at all, by an optical scanner. Or ballots that were miscounted by hand. Stay tuned. :)

At least there will be no hanging chads.

There is that. We can be grateful. :)

5. trey_trey says:

franken is hated by EVERYBODY… even those within his own party. how else can you ‘splain obama winning by a large margin and franken losing? he is an S.O.B.

Clearly Franken isn’t hated by everybody; he and Coleman are virtually tied in the vote count. And Coleman had the advantage of incumbency. But, hey, don’t let the facts get between you and a good epithet.

7. Rick says:

Kathy, theoretically trey-trey could be right. Even though AL got over 1.2 million votes, of those, EVERYBODY could have hated hated Norm Coleman even more. But I’m a Democrat and I like Franken a lot. Go ‘splain that.