Alaska Gives the Finger to the Rule of Law

With 99% of the votes counted, convicted felon Ted Stevens (R-AK) appears to have won re-election to the US Senate.  I wish I could say I’m surprised.

Del asks in a comment below if this means Palin v. Begich in a special election.  Well, of course the Senate will have to boot Stevens first.  Or he’ll have to resign.  Mitch McConnell was talking big last week about a forcible removal, but that was back when he was in a tight re-election fight. Now that he’s pulled out a squeaker*, and no longer has to distance himself from the Republican party, he may change his tune.

Wheeler, you’re an attorney.  If Stevens goes to the Big House, can he still keep his Senate seat?  I almost think I’d prefer that to Sen. Palin.

****

* Yes, I do consider 53-47 to be a squeaker when you’re the incumbent Minority Leader and your state went 58-41 for McCain.

11 Responses to “Alaska Gives the Finger to the Rule of Law”

Those bastards. The great “conservative” State of Alaska knows that Uncle Convicted Felon will continue to bring home money for bridges to nowhere. That state is a freaking disgrace today.

2. Beau Butts says:

Stevens can keep his Senate seat even if his conviction stands up unless and until the Senate expels him. However, he will not be able to actually leave prison to vote, attend or attend sessions and committee meetings so his membership will not count for much. His expulsion is quite likely because the Senate would not want the embarrassment of having a Stevens sitting in prison and not being able to serve.

As I learned the news about Stevens this morning (went to bed early, couldn’t take the stress) the husband said, “Honey, there are only six hundred thousand people in the state, and four hundred thousand of them named their babies after him.” Pork: there’s nothing to match it. But the prospect of Senator Palin is far more disturbing than poor old Ted Stevens being sent back to Washington.

“…he will not be able to actually leave prison to vote…” That is my choice for quote of the day so far. Thanks for my morning laugh, Beau Butts!

Young is leading by a razor-thin margin, too. One really does begin to wonder about Alaska. Not that my natal city is any better in its choice of Wm. Jefferson.

I think “he may be a crook, but he’s our crook” applies here.

5. wheeler says:

i don’t know if he’ll end up in jail. i think the max for each count is only like 18 months. don’t know about minimums, but i doubt time is required. given age, service, yada, yada, he could escape prison.

6. Rick says:

W pardoned Scooter. If He pardons Stevens, can he still be in the Senate? Sorry, that probably sounds cynical.

7. Katy says:

Let’s keep him in the Senate and let him go to jail. I don’t want a Palin appointment to the Senate.

Rick, I don’t think Stevens was doing W’s (or Cheney’s) bidding and providing political cover, so he probably doesn’t qualify for a pardon — at least not by W’s (or Cheney’s) standards. :)

Katy, from what I’ve read, it’s unclear who has the authority to replace Stevens if he goes. Whether the state goes with gubernatorial appointment or special election, there will likely be a lawsuit. Especially if it looks like the seat might go Democratic. Why yes, I’m feeling a bit cynical too.

Wheeler, I must admit the idea of putting an 84-year-old in prison bothers me a lot. Retirement and restitution sound like a good plan.

10. Almod says:

Well… I suppose 600 thousand people who live in a state where there’s no sunlight for half the year and are on average more depressed than the rest of the country can’t be wrong!

My question is as to whether or not Stevens gets to keep his seat when Alaska decides to secede from the Union.