More Turnout!

Four hour voting lines in Moody, Alabama?  You have to be kidding me.

And in Eutaw, Alabama, election officials moved to larger quarters to accommodate the turnout.

As of 10:15 a.m., 168 people had voted at the site, about 100 more voters than would normally turn out for an election at that time of day, [ Sinnie Neal Richardson, chief poll inspector] said.

7 Responses to “More Turnout!”

1. Almod says:

The four hour wait is no joke. That’s where I voted today, even though I live in Argo. We waited about 3-1/2 hours to vote, and the line was longer when we left. The problem there was that they had a lack of staff and that there were too many different areas crammed together for one polling place. But voter turnout seemed to be an issue as well. The lines weren’t nearly as long four years ago, two years ago, or even during the primaries. We just went in, voted, and left.

This year, the line was wrapped around the building and went down the street.

Could you tell anything about the political makeup of the crowd?

3. Almod says:

Not really. There wasn’t much political discussion, and DH quickly hushed me up when I attempted to start some. I hate profiling, but there were several young voters as well as black voters in the line.

4. wheeler says:

“I’m thinking John McCain’s margin of victory here will be significantly smaller than 23%.”

or a lot of people in the old confederacy are really scared of black people with muslim sounding names.

5. Katy says:

There were probably 100 people at my polling place in Anniston, AL when it opened this morning. In the 4.5 years I have been voting at this particular polling place, I have NEVER stood in a line!

6. Kiki says:

One of the managers at the store I work at lives in Moody and did not get to vote–she didn’t know about the wait and had to leave to come to work. She said the line was way out the door. She was disappointed. I have no idea who she was voting for, but the majority of folks I work with are pretty liberal minded–a haven in my neighborhood!

I had no problem at my usual polling place–no wait, walked in, sat down and voted. was home before the frozen pizza was ready to come out of the oven! But this morning, we were late to school because of the mobs of people at the Baptist church where that area votes down the road we have to pass on the way to school. I sat there for a good 20 minutes while an inept sheriff didn’t direct traffic!

Glad to be home!

7. Katy says:

There were many more African Americans voting than I have seen in the past. I was standing behind a young, black man who turned 18 in June. He and his mother were waiting quietly in line, he was dressed in a white, long sleeved shirt with a red t-shirt over that and blue down vest. He had an American flag bracelet on his wrist. It was truly beautiful!