Voter Registration Deadline in Alabama: Friday, October 24

(Preaching to the choir here, but if this helps one reader, it’s worth it.)

ETA:  I found this great link, via the League of Women Voters, where you can check to make sure you’re properly registered and get the location of your polling place.

****

If you aren’t already registered, DO IT! Your registration must be either hand-delivered or postmarked to your county registrar by tomorrow, October 24.  Here’s a link to the voter registration form (PDF), which includes an address list for every county registrar’s office in the state.

As you prepare to vote, you can review a sample ballot for your county here.  Also, check out this link at snopes.com regarding some warnings that have circulated about problems with straight ticket voting.  The gist of it is this:  different states have different rules that govern straight ticket voting, so study your ballot before you go into the voting booth.

And, of course, be sure you know where to vote.  I don’t know about you, but I go to one location for national and state elections and another for local elections, and it can get confusing.

When you go to the polls on November 4, be sure to take proper identification.  Click here to see which forms of ID are acceptable in Alabama.  You may be amused to know that the list includes valid Alabama fishing and hunting licenses.  :)

Thanks to Blues reader Helen for the Snopes link.

8 Responses to “Voter Registration Deadline in Alabama: Friday, October 24”

1. Don says:

Kathy, your link to see which forms of ID are acceptable took me to a “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”. It may work with Firefox or something else, but for IE users this URL should work:

Fraudulent votes can easily be cast because the state ID requirements are too lax and broad.

On that page, look under B. and decide how many types of so called acceptable “ID” could easily be forged, or obtained from someone’s mailbox or trash. Another loophole (see Note: near the bottom) in the law is allowing two poll workers to say they can identify the person wishing to vote as someone who is qualified to vote.

Government issued PHOTO ID only should be acceptable, and even then the ID could be forged.

2. Don says:

The same think happened when I tried using your link to see a sample ballot for my county. IE users might try going to http://www.alabamavotes.gov/ElectionInfo/2008SampleBallots.aspx?a=voters

3. Don says:

Ditto on the link for a registration form. IE users can try http://www.alabamavotes.gov/downloads/election/vr/nvra-2.pdf

Thanks, Don. It looks like the Secretary of State’s main site is down this morning. I can’t access it from Firefox either. The AlabamaVotes site is up and working.

5. Don says:

I accessed all the sites I provided URLs for this morning before I posted them here.

Don, I didn’t word that very well. Yes, all your URLs are working (and I really like the AlabamaVotes site — it has everything in one place); for a while there, the ones in my post that went to the SoS main site were not. It appears to be back up now.

I’m glad you mentioned this, b/c I just looked at the blog with Internet Explorer, and the display is all wonky. Yikes! :)

7. Don says:

Kathy, I just checked all of your links and they work fine now on IE. I also checked the URLs I posted and they do also. You may have some sort of “wonk” in your IE browser if the display is wonky. :-)

8. Sang says:

The dining, eating and baking areas should be very separate in kitchen layout.
    Many select to use the best surface area to hold microwaves or other little appliances
    even though some homeowners pick to use the leading as an additional workstation. Closely,
    akin to kitchen carts, but often used more for functionality than style are kitchen utility carts.