Re: Palin

In my zeal to learn more about this woman, I actually read several pages of posts at Free Republic. As you might expect, they are elated about her Godliness, reluctance to murder babies, butt-kicking ability, hot looks, soldier son, and so on. A couple of dissenters with remarkably poor grammar skills think she should be at home with her Down’s syndrome baby instead of running for veep, but these voices are being crushed mercilessly.

There is also much jubilation about the PUMAs all coming over to McCain’s team now. “We must give them a gracious welcome.” Freepers, and several right-wing blogs, are quoting a website thread from someplace called The Hillary Clinton Forum, where people, presumably PUMAs, were saying things like “I’d vote twice for Palin” and “I’m sending money to McCain” and so on.

There are many sound and rational arguments to the effect that Hillary was the better candidate and should have had the nomination. But if there really are Hillary supporters out there who would be willing to take away my daughter’s right to choice just to get a vagina in the White House…I’m sorry, this makes me too angry to type. I probably should not even be posting this now (with only four hours’ sleep yet).

I don’t know if this supposed thread, or even the website itself, are “for real.” I followed two different posted links to the thread in question but got a dead end. You can’t search the Hillary Clinton Forum website that I can find. I am not skillful enough in the ways of the internets to figure out if this is, what do they call it? Astroturf? Maybe it’s a Republican ploy to lower Dem morale and affect party unity. Maybe it’s a Dem ploy to make McCain think he’s garnering Hillary’s hardcore supporters.

14 Responses to “Re: Palin”

Completely agree Del.

What is troubling me is a widespread series of sexist attacks in the progressive blogosphere on Palin. (Hit the link to Shakesville for examples.) That crap needs to stop. There are reasons to numerous to mention to be opposed to Palin based on policy. The fact that she is female is not one of them.

I had an Obama supporter ask me this morning if I was going to vote for McCain “now that he’s put boobies on the ticket.” This is a well-meaning person who was being sarcastic, but I told him that it’s a huge mistake to use sexist language to criticize Palin. There are a whole lot of people still angry, and rightly so, over the rampant sexism spewed across the lefty blogosphere and in the MSM during the primary season, and the last thing the Obama campaign needs is a bunch of surrogates taking the same low road here. It could push middle of the road women toward McCain and leave the more progressive ones feeling uninspired to vote at all — particularly those who don’t live in swing states. Might not change the electoral college results, but it would cut down on the mandate. Not good.

Let me hasten to add that I wouldn’t vote for McCain for dogcatcher. And there are plenty of legitimate criticisms to use against Palin. I’d like to see the Dems stick to those and leave the stupid, gratuitous sexism to the Republicans.

Well, I went to Shakesville, and I have to admit I thought the VPILF shirt was funny. [hanging head in shame]

She was runner-up for Miss Alaska, though, for Pete’s sake. I know it was a long time ago, but still. See, this is another reason I don’t want DD16 to try out for Azalea Trail Maid. What if thirty years from now, she’s getting nominated for Surgeon General or something, and there’s her picture all over America wearing one of those stupid hats and carrying a parasol?

Wow Del, I found it incredibly offensive.

Yes, and what if someone designs an “SGILF” t-shirt just for her? I won’t be laughing, and neither will you.

In some (young, hip, supposedly progressive) quarters, Hillary Clinton was considered too old and ugly to be taken seriously, and now it seems those same quarters see Sarah Palin as too pretty to be taken seriously. Could it be that they just aren’t interested in taking any woman seriously? I have a problem with that.

I think – I hope – that the reason I found it funny is because she is such an obvious token for McCain. Her physical appeal was a page of the Power Point presentation during the selection process, I am quite sure of that. The T-shirt is claiming that her looks are the chief, if not the only, reason to support her, and also pokes self-deprecating fun at its wearer, who would be eager to cast a vote for a babe-a-licious prez. It’s like a Bud commercial.

I think both men and women can enjoy a laugh at empty-headed bimbos of either sex. Palin, of course, is not a bimbo, but McCain’s otherwise inexplicable addition of her to the ticket kind of de-emphasized her intellectual qualifications and emphasizes her other, um, assets. As others have said, it is impossible that a male governor of Alaska with the same resume, no matter how pro-life and pro-oil, would have been offered this nomination.

Refusing to take Hillary Clinton seriously because of her looks is an absurd attitude. Dismissing Palin because of her good looks would be equally stupid, but mentioning them, or even ridiculing them, is not beyond the pale IMO. When the Freeper boards are full of McCain supporters drooling and celebrating about how gorgeous she is, all the while insulting the very attractive Michelle Obama’s looks, then VPILF is appropriate satire.

8. Almod says:

Yes, there are Hillary supporters who will say that now is the time that they’ll vote for McCain. The only thing is… The ones I’m hearing it from are the same ones who already said that they were voting for McCain.

I had some serious concerns about this pick from the beginning. I really wanted to be excited from the historic perspective alone, but the more I sat and thought about it, the more I found it insulting. It would be like if Hillary had gotten the nomination, and McCain picked Don King as his running mate. It’s a joke, and it’s a very cruel sexist joke at that. The message I received from the McCain campaign: Women candidates are interchangeable, and other women will vote for them just because they have ovaries and a nice rack.

This woman is SO not Hillary Clinton. She represents almost everything that Hillary stood against. She lacks the experience that Hillary had and stressed the importance of. And she’s not just inexperienced, but COMICALLY so. The thing that is most important, and I’m going to semi-quote Mike Huckabee (from The Colbert Report), is that Obama was nominated not because he was black or in spite of it but in almost complete indifference to his race. THAT is what excites me. Hillary had the same deal going on. She didn’t come so close because she was a woman or in spite of it but in almost complete indifference to her gender. People like her or dislike her (with few exceptions) because of what she stands for and not because she is a woman. THAT is what I want to see from our first female president.

So McCain trots out a woman. There are SO many other Republican women that he could have gone for if he simply just wanted a female running mate. Condi Rice comes to mind, and I wouldn’t have been insulted by her as a selection. She appeals to the Republican base probably more than Sarah Palin, and she has a ton of experience. I don’t agree with her at all on her political views, but I could have understood the pick.

The video of Sarah Palin asking “what is it that a VP does every day” was the straw that broke the camel’s back. At least Obama has been able to show that he’s prepared despite his lack of time in Washington.

So here’s the problem with Sarah Palin. She completely undermines EVERYTHING that McCain was trying to use as his campaign mission statement. McCain stood for experience and the moderate voter. In one fell swoop, he went right back to the Republican base and the right-wing nutjobs AND completely undermined his stance on experience. At the same time, he’s showing that he wants to pander to the Dems (and their message of change) by selecting that which they’ve been criticizing this whole time. It makes you wonder whose interests he’s going to look out for in the long run. And finally, it’s no secret that he was REALLY wanting Joe Lieberman as his running mate up until a few days before the official pick. His picking of Sarah Palin, who he hardly knew, shows that he’s willing to compromise what he believes is right and use cheap political gimmicks in order to score a few points politically.

It’s not the same John McCain that I was rooting for in 2000 and 2004, and I’m a little saddened by that.

But by golly… We can put Miss Congeniality in the White House. After everything that Hillary accomplished, I just feel like they’ve made a complete joke out of her campaign. That makes me VERY angry.

9. wheeler says:

one word: token.

Yes, John McCain picked Sarah Palin as a token woman, but I think we need to be careful how we express that. Describing her as “Miss Congeniality” denigrates the career she has built. She’s come a long way since she participated in beauty contests (which in all likelihood helped fund her college education), and no matter what political views she might hold, it’s wrong to reduce her adult life to beauty queen. Let’s keep the focus on McCain’s obvious pander to the religious right. Attacking her lack of national experience may work if it’s tied to other, more qualified Republican women, but it doesn’t stand well on its own — it’s too easy to turn it against Obama.

ALMod, I would have respected the Condi Rice pick also, but I think she’s too closely tied to Bush to appeal to a lot of moderates and not sufficiently fundamentalist to appeal to the Dobson crowd.

Oh, and this?

This woman is SO not Hillary Clinton. She represents almost everything that Hillary stood against. She lacks the experience that Hillary had and stressed the importance of….THAT [what Hillary has] is what I want to see from our first female president.

WORD.

What do y’all think of the idea that the plan is for Palin to gracefully bow out in a couple of weeks “to care for her child,” having destroyed Obama’s post-convention buzz, allowing McCain to nominate someone more suitable? Paranoid fantasy? Think I read it in a comment thread at Salon.

I haven’t heard that one. The conspiracy theories are thick on the ground these days, aren’t they? I also read speculation (wishful thinking?) that Biden will step aside in favor of Clinton.

Given the amount of crap that has been thrown at Palin and her family in the 48 hours or so since the announcement, I wouldn’t blame her if she said f*ck it, but I can’t see that as campaign strategy. Of course, I’ve been wrong before. :)

14. Almod says:

It sounds too conspiracy theory for my taste. I’ve seen a ton of stuff in the past few days, including one report at Daily Kos that her youngest was in fact her grandson and that she was hiding her daughter’s pregnancy.

As much as I wouldn’t mind seeing a Obama/Clinton ticket, I don’t see that happening.