Not Again

Yesterday was the third anniversary of the US landfall of Hurricane Katrina.  Now Gustav is bearing down on the gulf coast as a category 4 storm.  Those of you who read here regularly are probably aware that my co-blogger Del and her family live in Mobile, and we have readers who are still recovering from the damage inflicted by Katrina and Rita.  They and many other people in the path of the storm could use our good thoughts and prayers right now and may very well need a helping hand before this is over.  Please hold all of them close to your hearts.

14 Responses to “Not Again”

1. Don says:

I contacted my relatives in and around Lafayette, LA yesterday to assure them that they are welcome to take shelter in our home if they want to evacuate and drive this far. They plan to hunker down and ride out whatever comes their way though.

2. Don says:

Watch the video of former National Chairman of the Democratic National Committee Don Fowler on his return flight from the convention in Denver @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrBus8ORR78 and listen to what he has to say about the possible timing of Hurricane Gustav hitting, and possibly devastating, New Orleans. He thinks it’s funny because it is due to hit during the GOP convention. I think what he thinks is despicable and I hope it’s not the attitude of other people. He should be ashamed of himself and I think he should be called into account and censured by his fellow Democrats.

Don, I heard Michael Moore make a similar stupid statement this morning, and I wanted to throw something at the TV. His take on it was that the timing of the hurricane proves there is a God. Yeah, because God would totally send a hurricane to devastate the Gulf Coast yet again just to disrupt a political convention.

OTOH, I guess this could be a satiric commentary on all the times Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and their ilk have declared that natural disasters (and even 9/11) were brought about by evil liberals and gays.

4. Don says:

Kathy, I think anyone and everyone who speaks that way should be ridiculed if not ostracized regardless of their politics.

I saw the Fowler video at the same time I saw the Moore video. Both joked about “God being on our side” apparently as a dig at Dobson bringing down God’s wrath on the football stadium in Denver. Way to go guys, lower yourselves to Dobson’s level and joke about hurricanes hitting Louisiana. Where were you three years ago? Slimy bastards.

The God remark was definitely a joke. I cannot believe that either party has had a conversion experience now that God has “sent” a hurricane to disrupt the Republican convention.

Don, I disagree. Dobson et al. took to the airwaves and publicly called on an anthropomorphic God, one they believe acts in all our lives on a daily basis, to send a rainstorm to spoil Obama’s nomination. Now a major hurricane – aimed at the same city whose destruction has already discredited the Republican administration – has appeared just in time for the Republican convention. I’m afraid I am quite liable to privately make a gallows-humor type joke or two about it myself. Ostracize me if you must.

Kathy, I so appreciate your kind thoughts and words, but we personally are just fine. In fact we are entertaining refugees from New Orleans, who thoughtfully brought a nice rump roast with them – I’m about to start cooking. I’m very, very worried about south Louisiana in general though, and the economic future of the NOLA area – how in the world can we expect anyone to invest there now? Closer to home, Dauphin Island and the rest of south Mobile County may be hard hit. Right now the storm seems to be weakening a bit – let’s hope that continues.

7. Don says:

Del, I guess the reason I miss reading and seeing so many things that you and others don’t miss is that I spend too much time reading and posting comments on blogs, and that while I do that I’m so slow at it, and that my mind won’t let me multitask and listen while I type like everyone else seems able to do. That’s what old age does to you, I guess. But old age beats the alternative.

Oh yeah, is it written somewhere that “revenge is mine”?

8. Almod says:

Called my dad yesterday to let him know that he can come and stay with us if he needed to. Yeah, it’s looking messy.

But I was more than a little annoyed with the whole “praying for rain” and “God is on our side” bit. It is ironic, though. I have to admit that much. Scary ironic, but the God I worship wouldn’t cause this much disaster and destruction in the name of politics. Still… I always said to be careful what you wish for and even more careful what you pray for. If nothing else, it’s brought to light a little better just how sadistic and cruel some of these people can be.

Here’s the article link about the “praying for rain” bit, just in case you want it.

I also happen to get the Michael Moore mailings as well as the DNC mailings and GOP mailings. Always nice to know what’s being sent out to the Kool-aid drinkers. There was one thing that DID get my attention:

Thanks, ALMod. There have been tacky remarks made on both sides, but I certainly haven’t heard anyone on the Dem side exhorting followers to pray for destruction, nor have I heard Dems attribute natural disasters to “sin” committed by political opponents (well, except for Sharon Stone, and she was rightly vilified).

10. Jonathan says:

God’s doing this? Well crap, here I was thinking it was all George Bush’s fault. Him and his Hurricane Making machine. At least that’s what I was told.

Well, Jonathan, while I doubt the vast majority of Republicans would wish a hurricane on anyone, I expect there were plenty of quiet sighs of relief when Bush said Gustav would keep him away from the convention. :)

12. DEL, did Dr. Dobson really do that? He should stay away from politics and stick to the family psychology. Sometimes I wonder about that, now. My father used to support both Dobson AND Dr. James Kennedy, but when they started supporting Roy Moore and pushing his agenda, I told my dad to step away. Coral Ridge Ministries used to call my house all the time searching for my “daddy’s money”. I told them not to call us again. When mother was alive, she supported Coral Ridge and Dobson WEEKLY. I used to have some sort of respect for Dobson, but no longer.

13. Almod says:

Debbie, it wasn’t Dobson. It was Stuart Shepard from Focus on the Family, a group led by Dobson. (See my link above.) I haven’t seen a statement from Dobson commenting on that.

I’m with you, as well. I used to subscribe to a lot of the FotF newsletters and magazines, and I sent a lot of donations back in the day. But it just seems like over the last few years they’ve gotten nuttier and nuttier.

14. Peggy says:

Can I throw in my beef about cable bundles? My dad and several other folks that I’ve been trying to reach in New Iberia, LA have cable internet, cell phone, and home phone. I STILL can’t get through to them. I was finally able to reach one of dad’s neighbors last night because he’s NOT on the cable bundle.

Everybody’s OK, thankfully, and the power is back on, but not the cable.

Take away lessons. (1) Never give up your land line; those phones work even when the power’s out. (2) Phooey on cable telephones.