History Right in Front of Us

It just hit me this morning how very cool it is to have been alive on the day that a major political party nominated a person of color to run for President of the United States.

That is all.

15 Responses to “History Right in Front of Us”

Yeah. Last night as we were watching, I said how I had thought it would happen someday, but not this soon.

2. Nancy says:

Pretty amazing. I remember when we had “N Lover” spraypainted on the front of our house.

3. Songbird says:

Very, very true.

4. kayman says:

Well, I’m proud to see for once a non-white male for once having an actual chance of becoming president of the United States. I’m going to be proud to cast my vote in November for him.

5. renee says:

And he’s even the best candidate for the job.

6. Don says:

There will be more history made if Governor Palin is the lady who finally breaks that “glass ceiling”.

7. Don, I’ll be interested to see if the Republicans who called Obama the “affirmative action” candidate will do the same to Palin.

8. Don says:

My earlier comment shouldn’t be taken to be an endorsement of Palin. I give her credit though for acknowledging, in her speech at the announcement of her being tapped for the VP slot, a couple of ladies who have at least made cracks in that glass ceiling, Hillary Clinton and Geraldine Ferraro.

Lisa in Hoover, your comment is the first time I’ve known of anyone referring to Obama as the “affirmative action” candidate and I’m mystified as to how that terminology might apply to Palin.

Don, Obama is black, Palin is a woman, and both of them are relatively inexperienced, ergo the “affirmative action” canard. It’s ironic, but some of the same people who had no problem backing relatively inexperienced George W. Bush (who also had numerous business failures to his, um, credit) still take issue with a non-white or non-male. Of course, they’re less likely to take issue with the non-male in this case because she espouses views similar to theirs.

But Kathy, Bush had plenty if experience frying people in Texas.

11. Don says:

I must be dense because I’m still trying to figure out this “affirmative action” thing. I think I understand what Kathy said about one candidate being black and one being female.

“Affirmative action”, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, means positive steps taken to increase the representation of women and minorities in areas of employment, education, and business from which they have been historically excluded.

As I said earlier, I’ve not heard of anyone saying that Obama benefited from affirmative action and I don’t see how anyone could claim that Palin has, which is the reason I’m confused. I just haven’t connected some dots I guess.

Don, the people who would use the affirmative action canard, whether overtly or implied, don’t see it as a positive thing. They see it as promoting an unqualified woman or person of color over a qualified white man. Of course, they would likely never see a person of color or a woman as being sufficiently qualified, but they are generally blind to their own prejudice. Rush Limbaugh has, at least once, said that Obama is an affirmative action candidate, and I don’t believe there was any roar of disbelief or objection from his listeners. He was busy trashing women at the same time, so it was a twofer for him.

If you haven’t heard or read anyone saying this, I applaud your listening and reading choices.

BTW, Limbaugh pretty much proved me right when I said above, “Of course, they’re less likely to take issue with the non-male in this case because she espouses views similar to theirs.” He loves Palin. (I won’t link directly to Limbaugh, but it’s a quick Google if you want to read his comments.)

13. Don says:

If Limbaugh is the only one who has said that, that explains why I never heard of it because I never listen to him. :-)

And I have no desire to link to him in order to see it for myself.

Don, I doubt Limbaugh is the only one who said it; he’s the only one I googled. And he had millions (or, hopefully, thousands) of his dittoheads nodding along with him. I didn’t think you were one of them — you’re too independent for that — but I’m glad to have it confirmed. :)

One of our refugees (now safely home, and they never even lost power) was on the fence for McCain, but said that Limbaugh picking this woman just about amounted to a deal-breaker for him. This was before any of the other stuff had come out.