Democratic National Convention

The Democratic National Convention begins today in Denver.  For good on-the-spot coverage with a local flavor, check out Left In Alabama and Doc’s Political Parlor.  Both blogs have people on the ground to bring you the stories you won’t read in the newspaper or see on TV.  It promises to be a great week, so don’t miss out.

10 Responses to “Democratic National Convention”

1. Nancy says:

What do you think about Biden?

2. Sansou says:

Apologies for jumping in with a complaint so soon, but did our electric bills pay for the Alabama Power champagne brunch for 100 (Alabama) delegates & friends?

I find the choice of Biden hilarious, in a really sad way, because he embodies so many of the supposed flaws (Washington insider, too corporate, voted for AUMF) that were used by Obama supporters to declare Hillary Clinton unacceptable. And, unless he’s come around from his days of trashing Anita Hill, he’s a great big sexist — his remarks about his wife during Saturday’s speech don’t reassure me.

All that said, at least he has some experience. That’s a plus.

Sansou, I guess we can hope the party was paid for out of employee contributions to the company PAC. And that those contributions were totally voluntary. :)

5. Nancy says:

Yeah – I kinda thought he was probably a better match with Clinton. I think maybe he married up, too!

I hoped to the end that Clinton would be VP. Don’t know if Obama didn’t ask or she didn’t accept, but I think that would have been an unbeatable ticket.

7. I don’t think it would have been an unbeatable ticket, nor would it have been a lack of a headache. I would have rather had Hillary at the top of the ticket, but I don’t think Obama’s interests would have been well served with her at the bottom of the ticket. Biden is a safe choice. Obama knows his flaws, outside of the lunatic fringe, lie with security moms (and the like) and he felt (as I do) that someone that is “known” in the realm of national security would be a better pick politically. Whether that out weighs Biden’s big mouth is another question.

Talmadge East, re: unbeatable ticket or not, I guess we’ll never know. I’ve seen polling and analysis that it would have been, but it’s easy to make predictions about a hypothetical.

It bothers me greatly that the Obama campaign apparently leaked word that Clinton hadn’t even been vetted for the VP position. I fall right into the security mom demographic, and I would feel much safer with her on the ticket. But that’s just me; I can’t speak for anyone else. I do wonder how many security moms who don’t follow politics closely even know who Joe Biden is.

9. It doesn’t matter if they know him now or not, the media will shape the perception that he is up on defense issues because in reality he actually is.

I believe his big mouth will define who he is even without the media’s help.

For every hilarious “Noun. Verb. 9-11.” comment we will get three or four “clean and articulate” and/or patronizing comments about his wife debacles.

A choice singularly devoid of change I can believe in. But hey, he’s been on the Foreign Relations Committe since Noah built the ark.