News Flash: The Mayor Is a Litterbug

Not to mention a grandstanding wacko who thinks the answer to Birmingham’s problems is to incur new debt of $154 million. Yeah, I know municipalities sometimes must borrow for big capital expenditures, but with Larry’s record of debt management, the City Council would be crazy to go along with him.

As for the litterbug part, watch closely at the beginning of the video. This is just more Larry hypocrisy, exhorting neighborhoods to clean up after themselves (as they should) while he tosses his cigarette butts in the gutter. Sort of like his sackcloth and Rolex ensemble. Way to lead by example, Larry.

I heard through the grapevine that one of those poor officers made the mistake of locking his knees during the mayor’s presentation of his super-duper top-secret plan. Those of us who remember marching band days know what happens when you lock your knees. He apparently passed out and hit the floor, gun and all.

Or perhaps he was simply overcome by Larry’s awesomeness. Yeah, that must have been it.

6 Responses to “News Flash: The Mayor Is a Litterbug”

I love the weaponry. Good Lord Larry, please don’t make police officers be props while pulling off your tomfoolery.

2. Bill Dawson says:

Totally disgusting display by the Mayor throwing his cigarette butt in gutter. If not hauled to court for littering, the subject should be raised at the next press conference.

Bill D., I have a feeling Larry may be dragged into court for much worse than littering. I’d hate to be the reporter who asked him about the littering; he’d surely paint it as just a part of the media’s plot against him.

4. Helen says:

When we first moved to Alabama from a U.S. supported ‘developing’ country with a facade of elected officialdom and military control behind the scenes, I soon got my fill of news stories about corruption, jailed officials, underfunded schools and social services, and used to say Alabama is like a third-world country–without the machine guns.

Any difference is sure blurred these days. And I’m confused on another issue, too. City Hall is promoting big high-profile so-called anti-violence effort yet we get this Huey Long/Stroessner/Rios Montt–style display of SUV and bulked up bodyguards toting nasty-looking weapons.

5. Kiki says:

The whole display is simply embarrassing. What a jerk.

6. Narashima says:

I agree with Cole that it was extremely danrig of you to have confronted the litter bug. If you’ve not developed muscles then you must have tugged a newspaper under your shirt that looked like a concealed weapon. People have been known to be assaulted for confronting litter bugs and smokers.If he didn’t discard the lighted cigarette butt at the upper lift landing, I believe that he would have brought it into the lift (which is against the law as well). What he should have done is to extinguish the cigarette (using that box) and then discard the package into the dustbin.Although he should be ashamed of himself, I really doubt that he has learnt something from this episode. Let us know if you can catch him a second time.