First Cherokee Purple

This one’s for Kyle:

cherokee-purple-2

Dear Husband has already sampled it, and he pronounced it very good. It doesn’t look purple, and it doesn’t look like liver. It looks yummy! Kyle, I hope you beat back the onslaught of green worms and have a bumper crop.

11 Responses to “First Cherokee Purple”

1. Songbird says:

Oh, beautiful!

And delicious, as I can attest now that we’ve eaten that one for dinner. I can’t wait for the next one to get ripe!

I thought about you when I read Arlo and Janis this morning.

Funny! So far, the only things the varmints have stolen are our blueberries.

*keeps fingers crossed*

It could be worse. One terribly dry summer, while we still had the Problem Neighbor next door, I went outside mid-morning and saw a rat calmly sitting on its haunches under a tomato plant, munching on a tomato held between its paws. Just like a Beatrix Potter story! Except, not.

6. Loretta Nall says:

I’m so jealous!!! My cherry tomatoes are ripening and have provided us with a few handfuls…but none of my big ones are anywhere near ripe.

Those look very tasty by the way. The heirlooms always are!

Just like a Beatrix Potter story! Except, not.

LOL…and gross! Yuck, yuck, yuck. Oh well, I guess rats have to eat too. Just not my tomatoes.

Loretta, I hope you don’t have to wait much longer. How’s the rest of your garden coming along? You are so right about the heirlooms. I’ve already decided to plant lots more Cherokee Purples next year.

8. Loretta Nall says:

The rest of the garden is doing fabulous. Getting lots of cucumbers, green beans, squash, zucchini, eggplant and peppers.

We have really enjoyed eating the squash casserole and stuffed zucchini.

My lima beans are blooming and I have purple hull peas over a foot long….they just aren’t purple yet. All of my tomatoes are loaded down but only the cherry’s are ripe. I’m really ready for a tomato. One of the brandywine tomato’s is so big… I bet it weighs two pounds. My daughter Bell said earlier today “Mom you could feed a hungry African village with that tomato.” She mey be right….but as sorry as I am about hungry African villages that particular tomato is mine :)

My mom and I were talking earlier today about how long it takes Brandywine’s to mature and she said next year she is going to sprout hers indoors in December so they will be pretty big when she sets them out. Maybe that will cut down on the long wait.

Kathy I will bring you a brandywine next time I come to BHAM.

9. Jennifer says:

I don’t know, it looks a little too freakishly technicolor red to me. And are you SURE it doesn’t have salmonella???

And are you SURE it doesn’t have salmonella???

:lol: ! Pretty sure. We ate it last night, and no one got sick. Not to mention, I don’t use contaminated water or chicken sh*t fertilizer in the garden, which are (I’m guessing) the culprits in the outbreak.

Loretta, I expect a picture of that tomato at your place once it’s picked. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Brandywine. Sounds delicious.

11. Loretta Nall says:

I’ll be sure and post pics. They look a lot like the Cherokee Purple but not as dark. Brandywines grow in weird sections….look sort of like a peeled orange in structure and they are huge.

On a side note….I am most grateful for the rain we got yesterday….but I wish it would come down softer cuz it beats the stew out of my corn, tomatoes and beans every time there is a downpour. I spent and hour outside this morning tying tomatoes back up and trying to make the corn stand upright. I was worried that my large tomatoes might have got beaten off but they are all ok. Lost a few cherry tomatoes though.