Five Years and Counting…

…since George W. Bush chose to invade a country that had not attacked us, using phony links to al-Qaeda and fears of non-existent weapons of mass destruction. Five years since Dick Cheney told us our soldiers would be greeted as liberators. Five years since Donald Rumsfeld told us the war would last “six days, six weeks. I doubt six months.” Five years since the Bush administration threw our credibility and moral leadership in the toilet and took a giant crap on it.

And, by the way, more than six years since we sent troops into Afghanistan to root out the Taliban, an effort that took a back seat to Bush’s war of choice in Iraq. Here’s what the Dear Leader had to say about it last Thursday:

“I must say, I’m a little envious,” Bush said. “If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed.”

“It must be exciting for you … in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You’re really making history, and thanks,” Bush said.

I don’t know why he can’t just head on over if he thinks it would be such fun. He’s only two years older than this guy, and all that mountain biking keeps him in good shape. We’ll be glad to give him a little more vacation time. He’s already taken off more than 450 days since he took office in 2001. What’s a few more months? Maybe he could use some of that flight training he got before he left the Texas Air National Guard during Vietnam.

****

Melissa has more at Shakesville. The war protesters were out in force in Five Points South today. They report that the public response was very positive, a far cry from the epithets and middle fingers they got five years ago. Only 307 days till January 20, 2009. It can’t get here soon enough.

9 Responses to “Five Years and Counting…”

I’m so glad the mission was accomplished, what, four years ago……

2. Jennifer says:

Like we needed further proof he is a complete jackass!! “Romantic”???? I’ll ask my friend Scott, whose brother died there last month, if he thinks it’s “romantic”!!!!

Well said, Jennifer. Very sorry for Scott’s loss.

4. bhmhomeboy says:

I went to the link and after viewing it all I can say is the right wing warmongers are counting on a certain segment of the American people to care more about attacking Obama’s minister than they do the 4000 American soldiers that have died in Iraq, the 20,000 American soilders that have been wounded and maimed for life and the countless innocent Iraqi men, women and children that have died in Iraq, It’s the new “wedge” issue. First it was abortion, then it was affirmative action, then it was gay marriage, now it’s Obama’s minister.

Also let us not forget that Hillary Clinton voted to authorize the war 5 years ago.

And please don’t forget that John “Bomb Bomb Bomb” Iran wants to stay in Iraq another 100 years.

God Help America.

Christopher, thanks for that. I think this will pass. The public doesn’t have a very long attention span. And it would be very easy to find footage of right-wing preachers saying worse things.

6. jonwil says:

This is an excellent article on the Basra uprising from a blogger in Iraq.

A must read for truth in Iraq.

Thanks, jonwil!