Gas Prices Hit Record High in Birmingham

Unleaded is averaging $3.11/gallon in the metro area, up from $2.23 a year ago and $2.91 last month. Ouch! Does anyone else think it’s past time for a good regional public transit system?

It’s definitely time to break out this image again:

gas_prices-lol-omg-wtf.jpg

7 Responses to “Gas Prices Hit Record High in Birmingham”

1. Hell I’d drive to Alabama for gas that cheap. I paid $3.39 this week and now they are up to 3.49.

Yow! Yeah, we tend to be behind the curve with the price increases. I wish I thought they’d go back down, but it doesn’t sound like that will happen.

The higher prices should spur us toward more conservation and research on alternative fuels, but the short term implications are terrible for people who depend on their cars to get around and don’t have any other options.

Did you see the piece Space Cowboy did yeaterday at Shakesville about the new non gasoline cars out there? Very impressive and muy asthetically pleasing.

I saw that piece. Maybe by the time I run the momvan into the ground, cars like that will be affordable. For me. I can dream, anyway.

5. Jennifer says:

This is all my fault because I drive the gas sucking, ozone depleting SUV. However, I am in on the ground floor of a new technology that will harness the power of squirrels to run vehicles. It’s just one more way to make the little suckers pay for being a drain on society.

6. Helen says:

Go, Jennifer! I’m hoping for some pedal model that’s a little more substantial than a bicycle.

Meanwhile, Greater Bhamians, agitate for better public transportation. There is another bill, SB304, in the Legislature related to improving the local system.

Jennifer, I look forward to the debut of the Squirrelmobile. You’ll be rich beyond your wildest dreams, and you can buy yourself that diamond you’ve been wanting. :)

Here’s a link to SB304 that Helen mentions above.