Bible Study on City Time

A source tells me that Mayor Langford will be leading Bible study for city employees this morning from 11:00 till noon in the City Council Chamber.  If you hurry, you can still get there on time.  That’s city time, paid for by city taxpayers.  Of course, it’s NOT mandatory, so perhaps some city workers will choose to spend that hour doing their jobs.

Perhaps Larry will ask the participants to pray that the Securities and Exchange Commission will leave him alone.  Or that the $1 million he promised Bethel Baptist will fall from the sky rather than taxpayers’ pockets.

14 Responses to “Bible Study on City Time”

1. bhmhomeboy says:

I had to laugh out loud Kathy! Langford should not be leading Bible Study on city time. If people want to study the Bible they should do it at Church and not in City Hall.

2. Kiki says:

Oh my. This is truly scary. Was it in the Birmingham News last Sunday someone was calling him King Larry? Or somewhere here? I think it may be true! He thinks he is the King–of Birmingham, England, circa sometime in the 1500′s!

3. jaleo23 says:

I really wish Mayor Langford would do more constructive things on the City’s time other than Bible study. He needs to realize that for Birmingham to become a more diverse and progressive place that it needs to keep religion out of our government. Sigh!

4. ALmod says:

You’re source was correct. He actually sent out emails AND REMINDERS to all city employees about the city government endorsed (and I say that because it was on city time and in City Hall (in the council chamber) religious meeting.

5. ALmod says:

To answer Kiki’s question, there was a local pastor who anointed him with oil and gave a sermon on the kings of the Bible and declared Langord the King of Birmingham.

“…there was a local pastor who anointed him with oil and gave a sermon on the kings of the Bible and declared Langord the King of Birmingham.”

Gaaaahhhh! I wish I thought you were joking.

7. Jonathan says:

When is a lunch hour considered “city time” and “taxpayer’s money”?

While the City Chambers might not be the best place for it, the fact remains everyone is welcome to a lunch hour. That is their time.

Jonathan, I’ve been told by reliable sources that this was not considered lunch hour. It was done on city time and taxpayers’ dollars.

9. [...] week, I posted about Mayor Langford’s Bible study on city time. Today, a commenter asked: When is a lunch hour considered “city time” and “taxpayer’s [...]

10. Bhmhomeboy says:

City workers get a paid lunch hour which is paid for by taxpayers.

11. Kiki says:

City Hall/City Chambers belongs to the taxpayers as well. Of no particular denomination either. Improper. The King, whoops, I mean the mayor should no better. But he doesn’t seem bothered by cheating much, does he? Is he still living in that loft in downtown B’ham (ha ha)?

12. Kiki says:

I mean know better! What is wrong with me–I am so negative about Larry…

13. Nancy says:

I am slowly catching up on your latest, Kathy! Get this – a county school district just east of us is actually offering a class in “Bible” this year. It is supposed to be a literature class. Yeah right. I surely want my kids to study the Bible, but they do that on Sunday mornings in Sunday School. YIKES.

14. [...] couple of weeks ago, I reported that Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford had decided to lead Bible study in the City Council chambers. He’s decided to make it a weekly event, and John Archibald [...]