T Minus 3 Days

…till the Iowa caucuses, with no clear leader for either the Democrats or the Republicans.  Does anyone else think it would be better to have every state’s primary election, caucus, whatever on the same day?  Discuss.

10 Responses to “T Minus 3 Days”

1. bhmhomeboy says:

I hope there is a surprise upset in the Iowa caucus. As much as the media says Americans aren’t that interested in the Iraq Occupation I don’t believe thats the truth. Republican Congressman Ron Paul and Democratic Congressman Dennis Kuchinich are the anti occupation candidates and they reflect the view of the majority of the American people. If the voters in Iowa vote their conviction and not listen to the media, Paul and Kuchinich will be the winners.

I don’t like the fact that the states of Iowa and New Hampshire get to decide who the Presidential nominees should be, but I understand the need for the primary caucus system. I just wish they could be held in states that look more like America.

I despise the fact that two small states have a greater impact on the presidency than the rest of the country put together. I have literally heard comments by pundits in the past few days that if so and so doesn’t place in the top three in either IA or NH, they are out. And unfortunately the pundit class creates these self fulfilling prophecies. This is sheer madness.

3. bhmhomeboy says:

I agree Bill, it’s the talking media pundit heads that are running the show. Remember how the talking media pundit heads destroyed Howard Dean? I hope the American people aren’t letting the talking media pundit heads influence their vote.

4. bhmhomeboy says:

Here is an article from truthout.org about the Iowa primary.

That’s interesting, bhb. Thanks!

6. mooncat says:

I don’t think a national primary is a good idea. Having all 50 states vote on the same day would give a huge advantage to the candidate who can raise the most early money. That would make candidates more beholden to big donors, not less.

I’d like to see a rotating system, maybe by region, with a handful of early states but not the same states each time. It would make it harder for the campaign professionals, because they couldn’t figure out what sells in 2 or 3 states and just repeat it every 4 years, but it might give more clout to actual voters.

7. Don says:

Two political parties (and roughly 1/3 of voters nationwide call themselves independents) in a state that has only 7 votes out of 538 in the Electoral College hold what appear to be no more than statewide straw polls and media goes bonkers. I don’t get it.

8. I second that emotion, mooncat. Say, 3 states each time…? But how do we include Alaska and Hawaii? Let’s have a fact-finding tour!

mooncat, I could go with some kind of rotating system. Or a national primary later in the process. This cycle’s tendency to move primaries/caucuses earlier and earlier purely in order to be first has been ridiculous. I’d be all about a shorter campaign season (yeah, I know we’d miss lots of good blog fodder :) ).

Don, I don’t get it either, but it seems to be a “we’ve always done it that way” sacred cow, even though we haven’t always done it that way.

Jeff, I’ll sign up for that tour. When do we leave? And it’s good to have you back.

10. bhmhomeboy says:

Our “liberal media” makes the New Hampshire and Iowa primaries more important than they actually are because they are the “first”. I like the rotating primary idea, that way we could have primaries that look like America and get the opinions of a cross section of the American people. The only thing I will learn from the Iowa primary tonight is which Republican candidate managed to terrorize the most people into voting for them.