Former Prime Minister Bhutto Assassinated

Opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated at a campaign rally in Pakistan today. Parliamentary elections are scheduled for January 8; her death sparked a violent response from supporters, some of whom blame President Pervez Musharraf. Who, I’m sure, had absolutely nothing to do with it. Uh huh. But I bet he’s really sorry she’s gone. At least 20 other people were killed in the explosion when the assassin blew himself up after shooting Bhutto.

Bhutto served twice as Pakistan’s Prime Minister and had returned in October from an eight-year exile. She headed the largest political party in the country, which was expected to fare quite well in the upcoming elections.

Pakistan is a really scary place right now — political unrest, nuclear weapons, and a leader whose power has been threatened. Oh, and, most likely, Osama bin Laden somewhere in the mix. Stay tuned.

6 Responses to “Former Prime Minister Bhutto Assassinated”

1. Katharine says:

Sounds like more ingredients for Bush’s World War III recipe have fallen into the mix.

Yep. He may learn the true meaning of “be careful what you wish for”. Too bad for the rest of the world.

3. anna says:

It’s a tragic thing. But violence is always tragic. I honestly can’t believe she lasted as long as she did. I assumed they’d get her lots sooner.

4. Songbird says:

i’m sure he’ll enjoy retiring to Crawford while someone else cleans up the mess, or tries to…
    It’s a sad, sad thing.

Anna, I wasn’t stunned either. Actually, when I first saw the caption on the news, I thought it was another unsuccessful attempt, but the end result seems almost inevitable. Which is a sad commentary on the world.

Songbird, I don’t envy the person who follows Bush into the White House. If the Republican candidates weren’t so uniformly bad, I’d almost wish one of them would be forced to take on the “legacy”.

6. Jaleo23 says:

You guys know what the sad part is that Pakistan and the world is the ones that are going to pay dearly because of this. Bhutto knew what she was getting herself into, but she knew is she did nothing that it would have just gotten worse. For that she was a true hero.

I agree I don’t envy anybody that replaces GWBush, and I hope they eventually can indict Bush, Cheney, and Rove once this administration is out of office.