Trick or Treat?

halloween-graveyard.gif

Happy Halloween!

8 Responses to “Trick or Treat?”

1. Jennifer says:

Now we’re on the downhill slide to Christmas!!! I think next year I’ll be a Christmas list for Halloween; is there ANYTHING scarier than that????

Thanks, Songbird!

Jennifer, if Labor Day required costumes, you could be a Christmas list then. Or even July 4. I’m waiting for the stores to start putting out Christmas stuff on Memorial Day.

3. anna says:

Our town began to decorate for Christmas 2 weeks ago. It makes me sick.

Hope y’all had a great Halloween!

Judging by the candy count on the bags (only one per child was given) we had 380 trick or treaters. Needless to say these are not all children who live nearby. Somehow trick-or-treating seems to have merged with the modern American tradition of viewing Christmas lights—you pile the kids in the car and drive around town hitting the best neighborhoods.

5. The pic reminded me of Fantasia, that big demon against the backdrop. Now, if we could only switch the build-ups of Halloween and Xmas, I’d be a happier man.

Oh, Anna! Christmas decorations already? That means the people at Fox News will start ranting about the “War on Christmas” anytime now. Or maybe they’ve already started.

Del, 380 trick-or-treaters? I doubt we had 30, and we’re in a neighborhood that’s supposed to be famous among the trick-or-treating crowd. We are, however, at the opposite end of the street from the annual haunted house. I expect the folks down that way were inundated.

Randal, the buildup to Christmas has gotten completely out of hand. Yeah, I know it’s supposed to be a birthday party, but….well, actually, birthday parties have gotten a bit out of hand too.

It’s been like this since we moved in 14 years ago. A few years ago it topped out when our “guests” got in the habit of driving slowly along in the car while their kids canvassed the block, belching out carbon monoxide into the crowds of children, endangering the little ones, etc. I think that was when we actually did not participate for a year or two. Now at least everybody’s on foot. Nobody bothers with the doorbell – we sit on the porch, or even the front walk, and just hand out candy to a steady stream of people–children, teens, even grownups.

An unpleasant side effect is that most of our neighbors, and us too, have taken to buying the biggest bags of the cheapest stuff we can find. ($30 worth is usually gone in a couple of hours, and like I said, that’s ONE Dum-Dum per customer.) So – our own kids came home with the same junk. Ah well. They’re too old for it now – DS spent the evening studying at Starbucks with his friends. And if I want chocolate I can go buy it half-price at the Rite Aid. But somehow it tasted better when I filched it out of their plastic pumpkins… :)