How Can We Help in California?

Wolfrum at Shakesville has listed contact information for agencies that are providing assistance to victims of the California wildfires.  They can use our help.  Head over and check them out.

7 Responses to “How Can We Help in California?”

1. anna says:

Can you imagine what it must be like? I’m glad they are getting a quicker response than the Katrina victims.

No, I really can’t. What a nightmare it must be to lose everything. I expect the quick response is a combination of learning from previous disasters and the fact that the area is affluent and largely Republican. Not that I’m cynical or anything.

3. anna says:

LOL Kathy!! That is exactly what I’ve been thinking!!

Those counties have to be up there in regards to the wealthiest counties in the nation. I actually got quite irritated about the comparison with Katrina especially since the majority of those victims weren’t able to get fat insurance checks and rebuild bigger and better! They were lucky to get table scraps.

I don’t think either of us is cynical. :)

4. Bhmhomeboy says:

I with you Kathy and Anna. It helps to be white affluent and have a Republican Governor in the wake of a natural diaster. They “learned” from Katrina all right. Even that says something. BTW, The Governator lives in the Malibu Area.

5. Kiki says:

Yes, it’s hard to feel sorry for people who continue to build on fault lines, eroding shore lines and those dry shrubby hills of CA. Especially when they have huge insurance policies and plan to rebuild yet again…however, from what I’ve seen on the news, a lot of the families, esp. in the San Diego area, appear to be distinctly middle class…one family stayed to try and ride it out in Poway and they died–they appeared to have a business out of their home–car repair. Pretty sad when your whole life is there–home, work, etc.

Having lost a home to fire–my mom and step dad’s house burnt down on the night of my 20th birthday party–I can tell you it is a pretty devastating event. Losing everything sucks–even with insurance, and we were fully covered, thank God. You can’t replace photos and mementos, and you spend months–even years– saying stuff like-oh yes, that burned in the fire…

Kiki, I have tremendous sympathy for the people in the path of the fires. I can’t imagine having just a few minutes to grab everything possible and leave the rest to burn. That’s a nightmare no matter what the income of the people involved.

It seemed clear to me during the aftermath of Katrina that the Bush administration was willing to play political games with the victims, taking care of Mississippi (Republican governor) more readily than Louisiana (Democratic governor). He had the gall to make a snide dig at Louisiana today during his photo-op trip to California, so I have no doubt that the relative affluence and political affiliation (of the people and the Governor) factored in to the speed of the federal response in CA.

7. We also have to remember that Californians are very familiar with natural disasters and disaster preparedness. If it’s not wildfires it’s earthquakes and if it’s not earthquakes is post-wildfire floods. Most local governments have evacuation and disaster plans, and they practice them. It has less to do with politics than with having been through this before.