SCHIP Passes the House

The US House passed the reauthorization and expansion of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program yesterday, 265-159 (roll call here). Forty-five Republicans voted for the bill, while eight Democrats voted no. The bill is expected to come up for a vote in the Senate before week’s end. Of course, Bush plans to veto it (even though it was co-authored by Republican Sen. Charles Grassley), and it didn’t get the 289 votes necessary to override in the House.

I called Spencer Bachus’ (R-AL) office yesterday to register my support for the bill, and the nice young man who answered the phone was careful to get my name and address. I figured he was making sure I’d get my polite letter a couple of weeks down the road explaining why Rep. Bachus couldn’t possibly vote the way I asked, although he’s just pleased as punch that I provided my input. What a surprise to look at the vote count today and see that he voted NO. I guess he figures none of the estimated 85,000+ uninsured children in Alabama lives in his district.

6 Responses to “SCHIP Passes the House”

1. The Mad Patriot says:

Even if some of the uninsured children did live in his district, surely you don’t really expect him to base his decision on what’s best for them, do you? Bachus only cares about the rich conservative residents of the 6th district, the ones that send him money. Like most politicians.

Ok, so I forgot my anticynicism medication this morning….

I forgot mine too. :)

3. mooncat says:

“I guess he figures none of the estimated 85,000+ uninsured children in Alabama lives in his district.”

I guess he doesn’t give a flying flip about the uninsured kids who live in his district. The ones with wealthy parents have insurance.

Regarding meds, looks like three of us.

4. Don says:

Stop drugging yourselves with anticynicism meds as long as you’re dealing with politics and politicians. A jaundiced view is a healthy thing to have in this arena.

5. Jennifer says:

Oh boo hoo, you bunch of liberal, bleeding heart babies!! So the poor children don’t have any health insurance?? Big Whoop! What about the millions of squirrels overrunning our cities in their quest to take over the world? That’s where you should be concentrating your energies. On an issue that really matters!!!

Jennifer, honey, I think you need to get some new tinfoil for your hat. and maybe some squirrel repellent. That might keep away the ones that fly the black helicopters. ;)

(Note for those who might not know Jennifer: she has her tongue firmly planted in her cheek. If you’re in need of some comic relief to keep from crying over current events, visit her blog. It’s a hoot!)