Ready for a Woman President

Samantha Bee had a semi-funny segment on the Daily Show the other night called “Is America Ready for a Woman President?” It wasn’t her best work, but it did have an interesting bit featuring LaShawn Barber. LaShawn is a blogger who “offers politically conservative commentary from a Christian point of view”, and she makes it clear that she doesn’t believe any woman has the temperament to be president. Apparently, women are too “nurturing”, or something like that.

You know, I bet she’d change her tune pretty fast if the “Draft Condi Rice movement has its way.

10 Responses to “Ready for a Woman President”

Not according to her:

“I wouldn’t vote for Condoleezza Rice for president of the United States. First, I don’t think women generally have the sensibilities to run the country….Second, Rice is pro-choice and might be pro-race preferences. No moderate Republican who I know is a moderate will ever get my vote.”

This was a couple of years ago, granted, but Ms. Barber doesn’t seem like a person who readily changes her viewpoint.

Poor Hillary. Too bitchy and too nurturing.

2. The Truffle says:

Ah yes, another rightie with cognitive dissonance and serious issues. These people are getting tiresome.

Del, kudos for going over and wading through her ramblings. I should have checked to see if she had ever mentioned Condi, but I figured I’d read something in the process that would make me want to throw things.

So Condi’s too moderate for her? That’s a hoot. Of course Hillary never stood a chance. It looks extremely unlikely at this point that Condi would run, much less get the nomination, but the Republican field is singularly unimpressive so far. Who knows what might happen? (I saw a Condi ’08 bumper sticker every day last year when I was picking up 14YOD at the middle school.) If by some long-shot chance Condi ended up as the candidate, I bet LaShawn would have a conversion.

Truffle, it is pretty pathetic that we’re still dealing with this in the 21st century. Seems the US would lead the world, but we’re well behind Israel, Britain, and even Pakistan when it comes to putting a woman in the top leadership position.

4. Anne Glamore says:

I saw that, and I was howling! I just thought it was great that a woman took on all the womanly stereotypes when considering the issue.

I guess her parents didn’t raise her to believe that she could be anything she wanted to be, including President. That’s sad.

It wasn’t that hard, Kathy – she has a search engine :)

I’m sure if Condi actually were to win the nomination, Ms. Barber wouldn’t stay home on Tuesday sitting on her hands. She would no doubt rationalize her vote as “the lesser of two evils” and of course by then a Strong Man would have been identified who would be at Pres. Condi’s side, ready to take the helm at the times when those soft, womanly values threatened to get in the way of good government.

The idea of them producing a dark horse (oh God, no pun intended) candidate to sweep the nomination at the last minute is interesting. It would make great theater, and we know how good the Repubs are at that. You know the scenario: you’ve tried on a couple of dresses, but there’s nothing on the rack that you’re interested in…and then the saleswoman says, “We do have something new in the back that just came in—the box isn’t even unpacked yet—” and out she comes with the new dress, which somehow looks great and completely different from anything else you’ve seen.

Excellent analogy! Mitt keeps on with the flippin’ and the floppin’, McCain’s so confused he isn’t sure of his denomination, Rudy gets weirder by the day (wonder what LaShawn thought of him taking a call from the little woman during his NRA speech), and Fred, who was supposed to be that great dress in the back, doesn’t seem to fit after all. The saleswoman may be forced to search through those boxes again.

“…Fred, who was supposed to be that great dress in the back…”

Hee hee! But yes, exactly.

9. Don says:

Kathy: “the Republican field is singularly unimpressive so far”.

Does that include Ron Paul?