Gonzo’s Gone-zo

UPDATE: Gonzo just announced.  It was a very brief speech, but he did manage to squeeze in a reference to protecting the rights and civil liverties of our citizens.  I’m still laughing.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales resigned on Friday, with the official announcement expected shortly.  Loyal to the end, he fell on his sword rather than forcing Bush to fire him — or that’s probably what we’re supposed to think.

CNN says Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff is the top contender to replace Gonzales, while MSNBC is speculating that it may be Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) or — what a concept! — someone in the Justice Department who actually has some experience and inside knowledge of the mess there.

Bush is scheduled to speak from Crawford later this morning.  I wonder if he plans to name his nominee today or just hold a love-fest with Fredo.

Another high-level Bush appointee gone.  It must be August.

11 Responses to “Gonzo’s Gone-zo”

1. Songbird says:

My husband mentioned Chertoff, and I thought he was just kidding. Lord, Lord.

2. Roy says:

I heard he resigned to spend more time with Karl Rove’s family.

I heard they found him doing some man on goat action. After all, they never leave for incompetence, destroying the Constitution or otherwise being complete assholes. It had to be for something important.

4. Sara says:

What happens if Bush tries to hurry through a recess appointment?

“What happens if Bush tries to hurry through a recess appointment?”

There’s lots of speculation that he’ll do just that. He has an agreement with Harry Reid not to, but when has that ever stopped him? I’m sure he had a “signing statement” in his back pocket when he gave his word.

6. Dan says:

You know, I used to think that Aschcroft was bad, but then Alberto Gonzalez was the AG. I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Dan, it’s a sad day for this country when John Ashcroft ends up being the hero who protected us from even more egregious violations of our rights. I heard lots of possible AG names tossed around yesterday, but we’ll just have to wait for the Decider to pick one. Wouldn’t it be nice if he let competence trump blind loyalty for once?

8. Wouldn’t it be nice if he let competence trump blind loyalty for once?

Suppose they weren’t Repubicans. Suppose they weren’t all amoral crackpots. But I repeat myself.

Well, yeah. I was just dreaming there for a minute.

10. PTSD Mom says:

Kathy, your Ashcroft statement is so very true.

Chertoff, before all is said and done he may end up VP. LOL. He seems to just glide up the ranks as an incompetent. Oh, I forgot———–that is the qualification.

Regarding Gonzales, you guys can talk about it, but us Texans are the ones that are going to get him back. I have some real strong feelings about the loyalty shown this guy. Because I have no facts, whatsoever, I cannot write about it, but I still really wonder why this relationship is so strong. Bush’s statement was sickening.

Goodness, PTSD mom. To paraphrase Blanche Dubois (somehow I keep doing that): “You make our mouths water.”