Dean Now Major Hurricane

dean-satellite-8-17-07.jpg

Oh crap!  It’s now a Category 3 and still headed straight for Jamaica.  There’s nothing new on Joe’s website about the group from UAB.  The center of the storm has passed St. Lucia, Martinique, and Dominica, although they are still being lashed with heavy wind and rain.

Dean will cross the eastern Caribbean south of Jamaica before heading to Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula and the Gulf of Mexico, according to the U.S. center.

“Dean won’t directly be hitting any more islands for several days,” [hurricane specialist Hugh] Cobb said. “The next island in its crosshairs is going to be Jamaica. Puerto Rico and Haiti will also see high winds and rains, but won’t be hit.”

Dean is expected to intensify to Category 4 level on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale by the time it crosses the Yucatan Peninsula on Aug. 20 or 21, forecasters predict. Dean is on a path to be in the Gulf of Mexico by Aug. 22 at Category 4 strength or higher.

“I wouldn’t rule out Dean could hit the Texas Coast as a Category 5,” said Cobb. “It’s still a long ways out to predict, but given the ocean’s warmer waters and low wind shear, conditions are ideal for it to strengthen.”

Let’s hope it dissipates instead.

9 Responses to “Dean Now Major Hurricane”

1. Mark Kraft says:

I wouldn’t be so confident about Hurricane Dean not being a threat. This recent model puts it pretty close to Corpus Cristi, coming in at around category 5.

Of course, a lot can happen in a few days, but all the evidence indicates that this storm will be very large and very strong, so caution is advised.

Mark, I can’t imagine how you could have read “confident about Hurricane Dean not being a threat” into anything I said in my post. I have a friend who, afaik, is sitting right in the path of the storm, and I’m very worried. And the last thing Texas (or any place on the Gulf Coast) needs is to be hit by a Category 5 hurricane. I’m hoping that conditions will change and the storm will weaken, but I’m certainly not counting on it.

3. Anna says:

I was hoping we’d get through this hurricaine season without a storm. That bad boy looks menacing.

Anna! Welcome back, girl!

Yeah, it does look scary. Nothing in its way as it heads to the gulf coast.

5. Cindi says:

After going through Katrina, my heart just stops when I think of what this hurricane could do to TX (or anywhere else, for that matter). Batten down the hatches and get the heck out of there.

6. Don says:

If I could control weather, I’d have it sit in the middle of the GOM until it ran out of windpower, then push it over the Yellowhammer state and let it sit there until it ran out of rain……and I’d likely be crowned King of Alabama.

Yep, Don — that sounds like the best plan. The last thing Texas needs right now is more rain, and it’s right up there at the top of Alabama’s list.

Cindi, this must give you flashbacks. Not an experience anyone would want to repeat.

8. Jennifer says:

And we can’t even get a stinkin’ drop of rain!!!

9. Don says:

Patience, dear Jennifer! I have a plan that I’m working on and already, just experimenting mind you, we had a substantial amount of rain in the wee hours of Saturday morning here on my plantation. Now, tell me again how to get to your place. :-))