Good Christians Don’t Question Authority?

Since when?  Pat Tillman’s family wanted the truth about their son’s death.  The military lied to them, and they refused to accept that and go quietly home like good little Bushies — or like good little Christians, at least according to Army Lt. Colonel Ralph Kauzlarich, who handled the initial investigation:

“But there [have] been numerous unfortunate cases of fratricide, and the parents have basically said, ‘OK, it was an unfortunate accident.’ And they let it go. So this is — I don’t know, these people have a hard time letting it go. It may be because of their religious beliefs.”

In a transcript of his interview with Brig. Gen. Gary Jones during a November 2004 investigation, Kauzlarich said he’d learned Kevin Tillman, Pat’s brother and fellow Army Ranger who was a part of the battle the night Pat Tillman died, objected to the presence of a chaplain and the saying of prayers during a repatriation ceremony in Germany before his brother’s body was returned to the United States.

Kauzlarich, now a battalion commanding officer at Fort Riley in Kansas, further suggested the Tillman family’s unhappiness with the findings of past investigations might be because of the absence of a Christian faith in their lives.

In an interview with ESPN.com, Kauzlarich said: “When you die, I mean, there is supposedly a better life, right? Well, if you are an atheist and you don’t believe in anything, if you die, what is there to go to? Nothing. You are worm dirt. So for their son to die for nothing, and now he is no more — that is pretty hard to get your head around that. So I don’t know how an atheist thinks. I can only imagine that that would be pretty tough.”

Asked by ESPN.com whether the Tillmans’ religious beliefs are a factor in the ongoing investigation, Kauzlarich said, “I think so. There is not a whole lot of trust in the system or faith in the system [by the Tillmans]. So that is my personal opinion, knowing what I know.”

I guess this guy thinks Dr. King and the other Christian leaders in the civil rights movement should have just accepted segregation.  Pat Tillman volunteered to serve in the military.  He and every other soldier deserve honesty and respect from the government that sends them into battle.  Their religious faith, or lack of it, makes no difference.

via Crooks and Liars

9 Responses to “Good Christians Don’t Question Authority?”

1. Paul says:

“There is not a whole lot of trust in the system or faith in the system”. Sounds as if whether the Tillman family are devout Christians or raging athiests, their judgment of the system is absolutely accurate.

2. Bottom Line says:

That whole thing was handled poorly. I am sure a mix of well meaning people with people wanting to avoid bad press combined to spit this mess out.

3. I live in the area where Pat Tillman grew up. I have been following this closely because I really admired this man who had such strong, clear morals. I think his family deserves nothing but the truth.

And for once, BL, I agree with you. I think that would mark the end of the world as we know it.

Maybe this Kauzlarich guy really does have trouble understanding how folks can get along without a strong belief in “pie in the sky by and by.” Frankly, speaking as one who can’t really believe it herself, it’s pretty freaking scary to contemplate being worm dirt. But I don’t imagine that if Mr. Kauzlarich were diagnosed with terminal cancer tomorrow he’d leave the doc’s office whistling a happy tune, delighted to be embarking on his trip to the better life sooner rather than later.

And if that cancer were part of a suspicious cluster of cancers in an area known for high carcinogen levels, for example, I wonder if he or his family would be suspicious or if they would just ignore possible (and possibly preventable) causes and blame God instead.

“Blame”? Come now. You mean “thank.”

7. KathyF says:

Wow. To extrapolate from his thinking, you’d almost believe Christians were out there blowing people away, based on their belief that a better life awaits. Of course, some of them are.

8. bill says:

From a devoted Christian perspective, I think that Jesus Christ was the greatest authority questioner in history.

9. ALmod says:

I have but a humble request. Please don’t defile my religion by using my god to justify your stupidity, insanity, stubbornness, hatred, and/or ignorance.