Sounds Like Physical Indiscretion To Me

Ongoing indiscretion, actually.

Rick Ousley, founding pastor of The Church at Brook Hills and chaplain for the Samford University football team, has been suspended from his evangelistic ministry after he admitted to “moral and spiritual indiscretion.”

Yeah, an affair that has been going on since 1981?  Pastor Rick only admits to one “indiscretion”, and he subtly blames his girlfriend for going public.

“In the fall of 2005, I committed a moral and spiritual indiscretion with a woman not my wife. That woman has decided to make this public. I have acknowledged my sin to God, my wife, my family and to my ministry team. We are all now attempting to deal with this as God leads. I ask for your prayers during this difficult time.”

His girlfriend gives a different account:

Donna Jones of Katy, Texas, said that the reference to an indiscretion in fall 2005 refers to a weeklong trip she and Ousley took together to a cabin at Lake Fork near Dallas.

Wes Hendrix, who rented them the cabin, said Ousley and Jones spent the week together and he assumed they were old friends. “They were so upfront about it, they showed up together,” Hendrix said. “I thought it was risky for him in the position he was in.”

Jones, 43, said that she began a sexual relationship with Ousley in 1981 and met him twice in recent years for trysts on his trips with Samford’s football team, to Waco, Texas, and Martin, Tenn. Ousley has been team chaplain for 15 years at Samford, where he graduated in 1975.

…Jones said her last trysts with Ousley were Dec. 10-17, 2006, when he preached two consecutive Sundays at Champion Forest Baptist Church in Houston.

Jones said she began baby-sitting Ousley’s children when she was 15, and began a sexual relationship with Ousley in Houston when she was 18 and he was 29, after he and his first wife divorced. Jones said Ousley continued the relationship with her after he married his current wife, Joyce.

Nice.  Sleeping with the babysitter.  At least he waited till she was eighteen.

[Ousley spokesman and attorney Gordon] Pate said this has been a difficult month for Ousley.

“He’s devastated, emotionally and spiritually devastated,” Pate said. “God has used Rick in a great way. I don’t think he’s through with him.”

Yeah, it’s always tough when you get caught.  Does anyone want to place bets on how soon he’ll go into rehab?

739 Responses to “Sounds Like Physical Indiscretion To Me”

1. i knew this was a sick perverted man upon meeting him at north phoenix baptist church. once while playing golf he told me he wanted to come out every week and play,,, i told him “no, i would rather have friends with me. i would dare say he has followed his mentor richard jackson up to the point of threatening everyone around him that knew anything or had a problem keeping quite about anything he feels they ought to. jackson was forced to leave north phoenix baptist church because of his affair with vicky vaugn but he threaten to sue anyone who even mentioned it. then she left her husband and went to tx with jackson to help him start his own school of evangelical terrorism through masonic overtones. donna jones is a hero here. i hope we all listen to everything she has to say. this could be the tip of the iceburg that so many non-masonic christains are continuely being thrown against by jackson and his kind like rick ousley. both these men covered up my father’s affair while he was on staff at north phoenix baptist church. so thank you donna jones,,, whatever your reasons were.

2. An area Pastor says:

Wilberforce2: Apparantly you are a relativist when it comes to the Holy Scriptures. If you don’t like or disagree with leadership or the scriptures simply do what you “feel” needs to be done. We, who are followers of Christ do not have that option. God has made plain how the church is lead. it is a plurality of Godly men. (Hebrews 13:17 “Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.”)

It may seem like the American thing to do, but the church is not a democracy. The leadership is responsible for governing and dispensing justice in the church. If the whole leadership is unbiblical, then the place is void of the Spirit anyway and it truly isn’t a “local church body”.

I have much to say on the subject but am trying to give you the clift notes version. It is a dangerous thing you attempt to do, when you circumvent the scriptures in favor of your feelings.

Your lack of regard for the scriptures is precisely why the church is in the state that it is in! Way too many “believers” believe in the bible, they just simply do not want to submit to it!!

Blessings,

3. full court says:

Area Pastor, you are wrong. The body should be involved in judging, even though you say “The leadership is responsible for governing and dispensing justice in the church.”

1 Corinthians 6:4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
    5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

That mindset of just let the pastor and paid staff handle it is not Biblical. And it is a big reason why American Christianity is dying on the vine.

4. bill says:

Kathy,

For what it’s worth, I think this string has run out its useful life. I reread Gale’s comments. I feel like this has come to represent the worst of modern day Christianity. The Body of Christ bickering and treating each other with mean spirited venom is not healthy for people like Gale and Doubter from a few days ago. I really believed the first couple of days that this was healthy for the hurting folks at Brook Hills. But it has turned into a lot of throwing stones…at Rev. Ousley, at Donna and other victims and even you. I have seen Scripture quoted grossly out of context. For example, Christ did say we would always have the poor with us. But that was one verse that was calling Judas down in the context of Christ’s time on earth. The Lord would be appalled that one of His followers would argue that quote implied that focus on the poor would not be more valuable than a public argument among believers.

Gale and Doubter, this is not how Christians are supposed to act. They are to love each other. Unfortunately many sincere Christians who sought support here have been subjected to abuse. That is not how we act. I pray that you will see the love of Christ truly lived out elsewhere. I am praying for the two of you, for Donna and the other victims, for the Ousleys and for all the wonderful folks at Brook Hills.

Others may feel differently, but I feel the environment of support and love that were there early in this thread have been replaced by something much less holy.

5. An area Pastor says:

Fullcourt: Let’s try to keep the scriptures in context. The issue of 1 Corinthians 6 is in relation to Law suits. It has nothing to do with church discipline. Yes, when brothers have legal disputes and disagreements, Paul is saying don’t drag this out before the world. Find mature people in the church and let them arbitrate.

but when it comes to the specific question that was asked of me earlier. the truth of the scriptures stand. Again, I will remind you that the church is not a democracy. The church is dying on the vine, becuase people fail to understand fully the scriptures, but instead seek to short circuit study, by giving little sound-bites that support their argument.

I have given you scripture in context, if that is hard truth to grasp, pray for wisdom and insight and the faith to follow no matter how hard.

Blessings,

6. full court says:

“I feel the environment of support and love that were there early in this thread have been replaced by something much less holy.”

Yeah, when people found out that Donna Jones was impersonating different people with different stories, some of the outrage at Rick and sympathy for her kind of dissapated.

7. full court says:

Area Pastor, the Scriptures are not hard to grasp, they are clear. Paul writes to the whole church, he doesn’t just direct those of you who think you know better to control the body of Christ.

Paul also says to kick the fornicator out.
    Paul says to set those to judge who are LEAST in the church.

We are also warned about grevious wolves who will come in and try consume the flock.

That doesn’t mean we are to allow it, no matter what you think.

8. full court says:

Here ya go “Area Pastor”

1 Corinthians 5:9 ¶I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
    10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
    11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
    12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
    13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 6:1 ¶Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
    2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
    3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

I am closing comments on this post. It’s time.

When I first posted the story the morning it broke in the Birmingham News, I expected a few of my regular readers would leave comments, joining me in my speculation about when Mr. Ousley would go into rehab. I never expected the explosion of interest from people who’d never heard of Birmingham Blues before.

Now, seven hundred and something comments later, it’s time to shut this down. At first, many of you came here to share your pain and anger at Mr. Ousley’s betrayal. Some of you likely weren’t familiar with the blogging world, but you needed a place to vent, and you hadn’t found it anywhere else. I was glad to provide that.

Now, I think almost everyone with a dog in the fight has moved on. I pray that they’re continuing the conversation, and the healing, with trusted confidantes. We’ve moved on to people whose primary purpose seems to be attacking those who are hurting and trying to prove the “superiority” of their particular theology. That’s not healthy for those who are still suffering.

I don’t know that any of the commenters on this post (other than my regulars) will come here again. My politics may be too progressive. But despite that, you have been, almost without exception, gracious and appreciative of this space. I pray God’s blessing on all of you as you move through and beyond this painful time.

10. [...] If you want to catch up, see here, here, and here.  Yes, I know I said in that middle post that we were going to stop this, but the current discussion has returned to the original focus, and that can be a healthy outlet. [...]

11. [...] I closed comments on my Rick Ousley post tonight.  It was time. [...]

12. casting couch…

Sounds Like Physical Indiscretion To Me « Birmingham Blues…

13. laser hair growth does it work