Fred Chickens Out

Good.  What in the hell, and I do mean hell, would make Fred Phelps and his family think it’s appropriate or effective to protest at soldiers’ funerals?  They had distributed fliers saying they were coming to Birmingham to picket the funeral of Army Sergeant Marquees Quick, but — as frequently happens — they didn’t show.  I’m glad for Sgt. Quick’s family that they didn’t have to see these sickos, but the Southern country girl in me kinda wishes that the Patriot Guard Riders had had a chance to kick Fred’s evil ass.  Metaphorically, of course.

I’m thinking, though, that God is getting a bit tired of taking the blame for the deaths of US soldiers, those killed on 9/11, and AIDS victims (Fred’s websites are Godhatesfags dot com and Godhatesamerica dot com — and, no, I’m not linking to them).  So when Fred does get his eventual, and inevitable, ass-kicking, it just might dwarf anything the Patriot Guard Riders could do.

ADDENDUM:  Mac has a good point.

9 Responses to “Fred Chickens Out”

1. Donna says:

Forget a metaphorical ass-kicking. He needs a real one.

2. Mac says:

I had another reaction (and posted it) — where the hell does the News get off describing Phelps only as someone who stages “protests against the U.S. government”? That’s like saying that the Klan is an organization that holds parades — it’s true but incomplete and leaves out what’s actually important.

Mac is dead on right and his post is dead on right. Fred Phelps is an evil bastard. I know newspapers need to be “objective” in reporting, but some things are so evil that they need to be called waht they are. Blasphemous Fred needs to be called what he is, an evil bastard.

4. Dan says:

I was really hoping the bikers would have given us the honor.

On the plus side, the article didn’t give him a single bit of the attention he so craves for his nasty little GHF signs. I’m sure Fred is dancing with rage at being made to sound vaguely like a disgruntled, easily ignored hippie protestor, the kind that is made to stand in the Quaid fence playpen two miles away from Bush’s motorcade.

Good point, Del. He’s probably putting out some poor-quality faxes right now about the “fag-loving” Birmingham News.

7. I’ve been running into Fred Phelps for years. I worked in Topeka, and had an smart border collie (is there any other kind?) who instinctively growed at him.

Fred was a “uniter, not a divider” — he pissed off everyone. In Topeka even Republicans and “Christian Conservatives” had “NO FRED” stickers on their cars. Hey, I even (semi-seriously) suggested giving him an award for promoting gay and lesbian rights in Kansas.

What bothers me is not that the old fart is still around… but that the ONLY reason he’s now newsworthy is that he attacks the military. Are we missing something when we support the bikers who drown out Fred’s anti-military protests, but ignore his anti-gay ones?

Richard, it irritates me intensely that Fred wasn’t vilified by the general public until he started picketing military funerals. I can’t imagine the pain he’s caused the families of gay men who have passed away (I’ve never heard of him picketing a lesbian funeral). I’ve seen his demonstrations personally a couple of times, and it’s nothing short of abuse that he indoctrinates children and brings them along to carry his filthy signs.

I do think when his hateful antics make news, he does far more harm than good to his own cause.

9. [...] Fred is known for sending out this incendiary crap and then not showing up, and I pray that’s what happens this time.  And if not, I hope the Patriot Guard Riders show up to protect the families from these evil, depraved people. [...]