Remember Katrina

Today, remember those who lost their lives; those who lost family, friends, neighbors, colleagues.  Remember those who were injured and are still recovering.  Remember those who lost homes, treasured possessions, livelihoods.  Remember those who lost faith in the government that failed them.  Remember the government officials, those who have learned from this horrible disaster and those who remain clueless.  Remember those who are struggling to rebuild the Gulf Coast, who have overcome the loss and grief and disappointment to move forward and make new lives.  Remember those who can’t.

Hold them all in your hearts today.

8 Responses to “Remember Katrina”

1. Mary says:

Thank you for writing this. We all have a lot to remember.

2. Dan says:

Ka-who?

Seriously, though, did you happen to catch the Brian Williams piece yesterday. I originally had some respect for his reporting and his proximity to the disaster in New Orleans, but yesterday’s special was the most self-loving piece of crap I’ve ever seen.

I missed it, Dan. Sounds like that was best.

4. Songbird says:

It was very self-referential, if not self-reverential.
    We started watching the Spike Lee documentary last night. I DVR-ed it, because I can’t watch the whole thing at once. It’s quite good.

Songbird,

I’m curious. I wanted to see the Spike Lee piece. Don’t get HBO. Why couldn’t you watch the whole thing at once? Too troubling?

6. Dan says:

I’ve heard the Spike Lee joint was great and I do have HBO, but I keep making myself too busy to watch it.

7. Yes, we need to remember the Katrina victims, as well as the 911 victims. That memorial is right around the corner and they should know our prayers are with all of them. I believe the best coverage of Katrina, was by Shepard Smith on Fox news. I will forever be haunted by memories of those poor people coming out of the water, with nowhere to go. That was absolutely devastating. So glad to see that Oprah does all she can to help them rebuild their lives.

I have to agree about Shepard Smith, Debbie. I am no fan of Fox News (to put it mildly). But I remember Hannity bloviating about it can’t be that bad, blah, blah, blah. And Smith really stuck to his guns and told it like it was.