He Has a Point

US Rep. Joe Knollenberg (R-MI) wonders just how much money the FBI should spend trying to dig up Jimmy Hoffa. I’m a big fan of Cold Case Files, and, yeah, it would be cool if they could solve the Hoffa case after all these years. But aside from the entertainment value for crime junkies, what would be the point? The two men who were scheduled to meet with Hoffa the day he disappeared are dead. It’s likely that the killer has also gone on to his or her — uh — reward.

What do y’all think? Is it worth the time and effort?

9 Responses to “He Has a Point”

No, it’s not. jmho

2. Don says:

Unless by digging up Hoffa it would prove who killed him, to me, it makes about as much sense as spending more millions now on levees for The Big Easy, especially now that they say it is sinking at the rate of an inch each year, and the levees will have to be continually rebuilt in the future. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, and New Orleans to its natural watery grave.

New Orleans has too important a location as a port and otherwise to completely abandon it. Right after the storm I read an article that dispassionately explained how the entire grain crop of the country would rot in the fields if they weren’t able to distribute it through New Orleans. There just aren’t enough trains and trucks on the face of the earth to hold the volume of grain, if they couldn’t move it on the Mississippi. (You’ll notice how quickly the port was up and running again–funny how money works miracles like that.) Wish I had the link to send you.

It is my belief that even if Katrina II comes through this summer (may God forbid) and wipes out what’s left of New Orleans (let’s not forget that the city didn’t even get the worst of Katrina), the federal government would be forced to maintain it as a military installation/ port facility.

The parts of the city that were swamp fifty years ago, like New Orleans East, I can agree with your point. Development there was greedy and foolish. But the older parts of the city along the river were built long before pump technology and state-of-the-art (hah!) levees, and they handled the storm just fine. Here’s an interesting link showing the flood’s progress, btw:

4. Anna says:

It would be interesting to finally find him but you’d also wanna know WHAT happened to him. I’m not very familiar with the particulars of his case, and honestly only know the name Hoffa means some man that disappeared. Don’t even know which decade it was or what it was about. All mysteries are good ones though, but I think it’s just the fact it’s a “mystery” that makes them that way.

Did that make any dang sense? :)

5. Don says:

Del said,” New Orleans has too important a location as a port and otherwise to completely abandon it.”
    Del may be from LA, so I can appreciate her concern in this regard. Plus, as Del pointed out, it is only sections of New Orleans that were devastated by Katrina last year.
    But, if the city is sinking at the rate reported, how much of it could be saved, and at what cost? If parts would remain above the water line without massive repeated expenditures for an indefinite period of time, so be it. If the port of New Orleans is included in that portion, so be it.
    However, if the port should also sink, the grain producers would still be able to survive by re-routing grain shipments to other more stable ports – such as perhaps Houston and/or Mobile, couldn’t they?
    Perhaps Del could enlighten me as to what military installation (or installations) is located there that is so vital, and could not be relocated to a more secure location on higher ground.

6. Don says:

Anna Says, “Did that make any dang sense? ”
    It dang surely does, Darlin’, simply because you are too young of a babe to know the details. Hoffa, if my poor memory isn’t failin’ me as my (intimate appendage deleted) usually does, Jimmy Hoffa was the head cheese of a union, perhaps the United Auto Workers, and reputed to be a mafia type to boot, who vanished without a trace many years ago. At the time many people suspected that he was killed by someone connected with the powers-that-be in the US government.

Don, I don’t know if Kathy will scold us for dragging the thread so far away from Jimmy Hoffa, but…Yeah, the port can remain above water without a lot of complicated help, I think. The grain producers are limited by where the Mississippi drains, which ain’t Houston or Mobile. I believe that expanding ports further up the river, such as Baton Rouge, is impracticable due to the size of the ships. NO ships out something like 60% of the grain we export.

There aren’t vital military installations in New Orleans, I mean not big training camps and the like, but there’s a big Coast Guard presence, I believe. It certainly seems like we wouldn’t want to leave a gigantic watery door to the heartland unguarded. Maybe we could head off the U-boats at LaPlace, I don’t know.

I grew up in Metairie, just outside of New Orleans, and both parents are 3rd-generation New Orleanians. I never imagined it was possible to live anywhere else. But long before Katrina hit I was thankful we’d gotten away. The city has seemed very sick to me for a long time–socially, culturally, economically, and, as you point out, geographically. (Can’t get much sicker than actually sinking into the earth.) I am all for rebuilding a sustainable, smaller, and more healthy city. However, such a dream is incredibly problematic.

Y’all feel free to hijack a thread anytime. The more comments the merrier as far as I’m concerned.

9. Don says:

If I knew how to continue this dialogue with Del some other way such as email, I wouldn’t take advantage of Kathy’s generosity here, but I don’t. Kathy, if you can contact Del by email you have my permission to send her my email address, but I just don’t want to post it here.
    I’m not suggesting that whatever portions of New Orleans that could survive naturally without huge expenditures on levees should just be pushed into the Gulf of Mexico. I only think it seems foolish and eventually maybe even impossible to prevent the inevitable, and that we should let the gulf take whatever it may in the due course of acts of nature.
    If the port can survive that way, those who depend on it for commerce have no problem. On the other hand, if the port should also sink, there is an alternative.
    According to the Tenn-Tom website @ http://www.tenntom.org/commerce.htm The Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway, west Alabama’s version of the big ditch, is a “234-mile waterway. The lock system raises and lowers commerce a total of 341 feet. The Tenn-Tom can save waterborne commerce as much as 800 miles in distance traveled between Mid-America and deep water ports along the Eastern Gulf of Mexico.” (and) “The Tenn-Tom saved companies $millions in 1988 when a summer drought closed the Mississippi River to barge traffic. Unaffected by low water conditions, the waterway proved to be a viable alternative route to the Mississippi and kept plants in the Ohio Valley and Midwestern States supplied with essential raw materials needed for continued operation for nearly two months.”
    If any Coast Guard installations there survive, great! If it’s too expensive to prevent that, it may be more practical to move them to higher ground. Other Coast Guard installations both east and west could likely protect us from those nasty NAZI U-boats. If not, when they surfaced some of those lively Ragin’ Cajuns from just west of there could either eliminate them, or get them drunk-ass crazy and have a party. I’d be more concerned about some terrorist just walkin’ in from Mexico carrying a suitcase nuclear device.