I Hate Computers!

Not really, but I’m not a happy camper right now. I took the laptop to Best Buy on Friday because the AC power connection wasn’t working properly. Of course it’s one of those repairs where the computer has to be shipped off to the Geek Squad. Instead of saying, “Yes, please send it today, and while you’re at it, please back up all my data files,” I said, “No, I’ll take it home and back up my files, and then I’ll bring it back next week.”

This clearly tempted fate beyond its ability to resist. Friday night Windows crashed, and even after spending two hours running the “repair” function, it still won’t work. So I’m sitting in Georgia with no laptop, just hoping that the Geek Squad guys can work their magic next week and at least recover my files. Which include my email address book and my mystery novel, with no backup of this week’s work. Aaaarrrrggghh!

The one tiny ray of sunshine in all this mess is the extended service plan. If the Geek Squad can’t fix the problem, I get a new computer. Again. That would make the third one in three years.

10 Responses to “I Hate Computers!”

1. wheeler says:

all i’ll say is apple.

we converted a year ago. guess how many times since then we have experienced an “illegal operation” or other issue? never. and if you ever do have to call the company, a real english speaking person picks up the phone.

oh, and no viruses/spyware either. because there are so few mac users, no-one writes that stuff for them.

2. Songbird says:

Well, shoot! That sounds very inconvenient. My last laptop served me well for 3.5 years, and is now being used by my daughter. So not all non-Apples are trouble.

I don’t know if I’m unusually hard on computers or if it’s just bad luck. Or maybe I have some weird magnetic field…

Fortunately, I can use my mother’s computer right now (very slow and still on a dial-up connection, but –hey! — it works) and the kids’ computer when we go home (new and fast). So I don’t have to go cold turkey; that would be scary.

Oh, rats. I’m sure they’ll be able to recover your week’s work though. If not you can always turn to the FBI.

Yes, Del, I’m sure the FBI mirrors my hard drive every night in the wee hours. Now if I can only get them to admit it. ;)

You have only to use the correct key words, and your attorney will be able to retrieve a copy of your mystery novel in discovery. “Our Secret Plot to _______ the ________ , By Kathy McMullen.”

7. Don says:

Kathy, Hon, I feel sure it was caused only by you erotic and exotic magnetism. Just cool it for a while and all should be ok again.

I’ll do my best. Maybe all will be cured when I get home. I’m not holding my breath, but anything’s possible.

9. I’m the rare Mac AND PC user. I still use my personal 5-year-old iBook daily. Been through more different PCs than I can count, but those are all work-provided machines. Ask me if ever you need help…