Moore Sees Himself As a Fighter

Boy, is this not a news flash. The Birmingham News has a long feature on Roy today, basically telling us that he’s combative and paranoid. I think we knew that already.

Using an old bucket for a seat, Moore sits down to explain that he doesn’t really like politics. It’s a peculiar statement from the man who wants to be Alabama’s next governor.

What Moore says he likes is a good fight. It seems he has been fighting against one thing or another all his life.

“I am firm about my convictions in right and wrong,” Moore said.

He’s been through a sometimes-stormy legal career, defied a federal court order to remove a Ten Commandments monument from the state judicial building and is the underdog in a campaign to defeat Gov. Bob Riley in the June 6 Republican primary for governor. Moore’s underfunded campaign focuses on religion, no new taxes, and criticism of the Montgomery status quo.

“He’s always been a fighter. He stands up for what he believes. People in Alabama really like that,” said Len Gavin, a former Republican Party executive director who is volunteering for Moore.

I’d be interested to know why Roy ended up the way he is. His life seems to be a series of Roy against the world conflicts, but the article doesn’t address the reasons. Dominionists like him have decided that they need to impose their version of God’s law on the rest of us. I’d like to know what makes them think that way.

14 Responses to “Moore Sees Himself As a Fighter”

Dominionists really are fascinating, aren’t they. And scary too. Like sharks–you can only approach them within the protection of a strong iron cage.

There are lots of “me against the world” types, I think-they just find different conspiracies to blame. Roy, I think, is as much about blaming the Godless as trying to impose God. I’m sure BL would argue that those who want to blame everything including today’s price of Super Unleaded on Mr. Bush are no different.

Yeah, being a professional “Christian” is tough work.

Del,

I believe BL is better than that. As I said yesterday in another rant, I can respect the views of some conservatives about issues of national defense and the economy, even though I usually disagree with them.

Roy Moore and his crowed are a different matter. Prostitution of my faith pisses me off. Those “Christians” who ignore all of Scripture between the Old Testament and The Revelation are dangerous to our country and, more importantly, to the Christian faith. I believe that Jesus is the Christ who clearly calls us to bring others to Him by reaching out and loving the least, the last and the lost. No reading of Scripture can suggest Him ordering us to bring about the gospel according to Tim LaHaye.

4. Don says:

Obviously Moore still doesn’t get it. His platform is based on returning our state government to the people, those of us who supposedly own it, and certainly pay for it. His agenda sounds good, but he has no way to deliver on it, and he could have if he would forcibly come out for a populist issue that would, I’m convinced, increase his popularity with voters – namel, working to bring Initiative and Referendum to Alabama. He only gives that issue lip service when pressured to do so, however. To see where he and other 2006 candidates stand on that issue go to http://www.doctoriq.com/report.htm.

5. Bulworth says:

So what’s happened to Roy Moore’s campaign? Not that I’m lamenting his downfall, but wasn’t he about the biggest ticket going in conservative, especially religious conservative circles? What’s contributed to his low poll numbers against a Republican who tried to raise taxes a year or two back?

Bulworth, that’s a very good question. I’ve been surprised at how poorly Roy is polling. I think a big part of it is Riley’s performance. He did an excellent job handling the Katrina aftermath. Alabama’s economy is going great right now, with unemployment around 4%. Also, I don’t think Roy’s doing the door-to-door, city to town to farm kind of hands-on politicking that is needed to convince voters to throw out a fairly popular incumbent. He spends more time traveling around the country trying to be an ambassador for Christianism.

Anyone else want to weigh in? I have some well-connected readers who know more about this than I do.

7. Renee says:

I’m not “well-connected,” but I’ll weigh in. First off, Moore has very little funding, most of it from out of state. Second, polls are asking “likely Republican voters” who they plan to vote for. It will be interesting to see if these numbers pan out. Moore’s campaign manager thinks the numbers will be higher because of Independant and cross-ever Democrat voters. They’re also counting on the “Wal-mart Republicans”, AKA “Nascar Republicans.” Funding can’t be too great from those sources! We’ll see…

I thought the idea was that he lost a lot of people with his dramatic, and expensive, Last Stand about the rock. They were all for displaying The Ten, but not to the point of actually defying a court order and racking up big legal bills for the state taxpayers. And after that, what Kathy said about Bob.

Bill, I wasn’t trying to conflate BL with Moore. I opined that BL might say, “Roy is shrill and wants to blame everything on the Godless–well, you liberals are shrill and want to blame everything on Bush.” But BL doesn’t seem to have visited us lately. Too busy off in the back room with Anna I guess. :)

Renee, you’re right about Roy’s funding. I wonder if the money he’s getting from out of state is helping or hurting. People here don’t trust outside influences.

10. Don says:

I don’t think even Alabamians vote on the basis of where a candidate’s money comes from. If they did, they wouldn’t vote for anyone taking PAC money, because when it can be traced much of it comes from out of state or from organizations the voters don’t favor. It seems to me that too many voters are really uninformed about candidates and their issues and those people’s votes may be influenced more by what they see and/or hear over their boob-tube or radio. So, when a candidate such as Moore doesn’t have money to compete in that type of advertising they’re at a distinct disadvantage. Moore, I think, miscalculated on how his popularity would prosper by not accepting PAC money now, even though he took it in the past. Another thing that hurts him with those who understand even a bit about how our state government really works can see that he can’t deliver on the various planks in his platform of returning government to the people, so they discount it as just so much empty political rhetoric spouted from an empty head.

Poor soul, I think he really does believe he’s talking to the Lord, and as sometimes happens in these cases, the Lord tells him what he wants to hear–”Run, Roy, run! You will win in a mighty victory of Biblical proportion!” and then he gets himself into this embarrassing situation.

Bless his heart. It’s no worse than what some of the artists were saying in the incredibly pretentious “artist’s statements” I read at an opening last weekend. We’re all having internal dialogues all the time, and many of us like to think of them as profound, meaningful, and even other-directed.

Okay, I have now related Roy Moore to installation art. Talk about other-directed. I’m off to do my God-given work of cleaning the house, and high time, too.

12. Elizabeth Del Greco says:

A lot of folks are afraid of a strong man like Roy Moore. I guess that comes from watching too much television, or picking your nose too much. This country needs a lot more such men, with courage and convictions.

Wow, Elizabeth, what a charming observation. The last thing this country needs is leaders who believe in theocracy. The separation of church and state protects both. Some of the worst atrocities this world has ever seen have been perpetrated by people who thought they had God all figured out and wanted everyone else to believe as they did.

No one ever has or ever will prevent Roy Moore from acknowledging God. He’s not allowed to shove it down others’ throats, and that’s as it should be.

Yes, Kathy, Elizabeth clearly has it right. We need a man who:

1. Makes a mockery of the Christian faith by prostituting it for political gain.

2. Ignores the U.S. Constitution by stating his religious symbols and
    prayers are the only form of religious expression allowed in a public
    courtroom.

3. Portrays a bizarre version of Christianity that suggests anger and hate
    are at the core of the gospel of Jesus Christ. His theology ignores most
    of Scripture between the Old Testament and the Revelation.

4. Promotes a faith focused on attacking others that would make the
    Pharisees of Christ’s day blush.

5. Supports the killing of gays and lesbians by sword.

6. Claims Divine support for the racist, incredibly inefficient Alabama
    Constitution.

7. Claims Divine support for high taxes for the poorest Alabamians and
    virtually no taxes on outside timber interests.

8. Claims, as a judge in an individual state, to not be bound by the
    authority of the Consistution of the United States.

9. Proved an unmitigated disaster as an administrator as Chief Justice of
    the Alabama Supreme Court.

10. Brought shame on the State of Alabama and the Gospel of Jesus
    Christ by his hateful, calculated demagoguery.

Anyone who doesn’t see that Elizabeth has it all figured out clearly picks their nose. What a brilliant analysis of the needs of the great State of Alabama she provided. You need to listen to her. Repent! Believe that Roy understands what God really meant. (Christ tried hard. He just got confused.) Know that Roy understands the real meaning of the Constitution and 220 years of great American jurists and lawmakers all had it wrong. Repent!