Speaking Truthiness To Power

Stephen Colbert takes on Bush at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. Go read. And then watch The Colbert Report while you can. It may be broadcast from Gitmo in the near future, and who knows if your cable channel will carry it.

Cross-posted at The Green Knight.

9 Responses to “Speaking Truthiness To Power”

1. Don says:

I appreciate humor to such an extent that I make feeble stabs at using it when posting comments on blogs, but since I watch very little TV and confine most of that to news and weather, I had never heard of Colbert. When I learned that this dinner was live on C-SPAN I tuned in because these affairs are like roasts and usually humorous. While Colbert was on I watched until I fell asleep, either from exhaustion or boredom. During the time I watched laughter from the attendees was noticeably lacking, and Colbert appeared to be skipping through his script in an attempt to find something that someone would laugh at. While he made some biting points about how Bush has been performing, it his intent was, as he is quoted in this article (Was he trying to make a point politically or just get laughs? “Just for laughs,” he said.), in my opinion his performance was a flop.
    On the other hand, the act the self-deprecating Bush and his impersonator put on was humorous, as evidenced by the laughter of the crowd.

2. Don says:

Sorry for the typo in my comment. “it his intent” should read as “if his attempt”.

3. Anna says:

Never heard of Colbert, Don!! You’re missing out on some great laughter. Colbert always makes me giggle, even at those situations that seem almost unbearable to imagine. I guess it’s true that if you can’t change something then you might as well make fun of it. :)

Don, Colbert’s show is a takeoff on The O’Reilly Factor, and I guess he is an acquired taste. He has O’Reilly’s mannerisms and speech patterns down perfectly.

I hear he was taking shots at the press, too, so they might not have been amused either.

5. Scalia got it, the part about him at least. Some people aren’t amused by the truth, especially when the spotlight’s on them. And it doesn’t look like they were enjoying Colbert telling them the truth.

So, now we’ll get a newscycle or so of “inappropriate”, “not funny”, “biased”, etc. commentary, not unlike the Whoopi Goldberg tasteless joke story fallout.

Then it’ll be back to the Search for Natalee. That and the DC-prostitution investigation.

6. blogenfreude says:

Let’s take a collection for body armor … Colbert might need it.

Yeah, we’d better buy the good kind.

8. Susan says:

“…as evidenced by the laughter of the crowd.”

Of course they laughed; they were afraid they’d lose their Air Force One press credentials.

9. thegools says:

Colbert rocks. I gringed and belly-laughed through the whole thing. The man has balls!

(“Speaking truth to power,” though rare nowadays is something I am glad to see in my home state of Virginia with James Webb’s Senatorial challenge of George Allen and the whole mess of Bush and co. Watch this man and you will wish you lived hear and could vote for him.)