Leonard Pitts Takes on Fred Phelps

May I say once again how much I love Leonard Pitts? Go read his editorial on Fred Phelps, the erstwhile Baptist preacher who takes his “God Hates Fags” campaign around the country to picket the funerals of gays and, now, the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq. Mr. Pitts opines that Fred must be gay himself. If Fred runs true to form, he’ll send out a badly formatted press release condemning Mr. Pitts, his readers, and, I guess, anyone who doesn’t “hate fags”. No problem. At least I know I’ll have good company in hell.

7 Responses to “Leonard Pitts Takes on Fred Phelps”

Once upon a time I thought the greatest editorial I had ever read by a nationally syndicated columnist was Leonard Pitts’ 9-11 piece. This one may have passed it.

And to think, I thought poor Fred was just an evil, vile, blaspheming piece of armadillo shit. And now I understand that he is simply “Bette Midler AIDS Benefit in San Francisco” gay. Way to go Leonard, thanks for helping me feel sympathy not disdain. Now that I think about it, I’m really worried about it. Because once poor Fred realizes who he truly he is, he is in major deep doo doo. After all, my gay friends and family are all pretty level headed discerning guys. I’m afraid poor Fred may be a very lonely guy when he sees the light.

2. PSoTD says:

Anyone that decides that picketing a funeral – a time when families and people are at their most vulnerable and need their own time to say goodbye to a loved one, a time they will remember forever – is just pure evil, period. It’s mental torture. It’s a practice that shouldn’t be accepted or tolerated by anyone.

3. wanda says:

Do you suppose we could organize a hates Fred Phelps campaign? We could even take it on the road. Show up wherever ole Fred is protesting. Kind of a good guys-vs-idiots showdown.

Wanda, have you ever seen “The Laramie Project”? When Fred and his family showed up for Matthew Shepard’s funeral, counter-protesters dressed as angels turned their backs on the hate-mongers. It’s an incredibly powerful scene in the play; it must have been amazing to see when it really happened.

My brother sometimes jokes that Fred is probably on the payroll of some very wealthy gay activist. He and his minions are so nasty that they actually advance the cause of gay rights.

5. Paul says:

I take great comfort in the thought that God loves Fred Phelps. If God can love that fecal pile, then there’s hope that He can love me. Kathy, you’re right: Leonard Pitts is an awesome writer, but this column may have been his best.

6. Don Seibold says:

This world would be better off if, when Phelps shows his rear at a military funeral, the honor guard would load, lock, and fire live ammo at the crud instead of “at will”. Just one volley oughta’ do it.

Don, I’ve had that thought myself, and to be honest I’m a little surprised it hasn’t happened already.