Monday Morning Reading

Blues Reader Don Seibold has a couple of interesting pieces up at the Dr. IQ website. Check out “Alabama’s Most Powerful Lobby” and his candidate review.

12 Responses to “Monday Morning Reading”

1. Don Seibold says:

Kathy, I’ve been snowed under with work, so it took me a couple of days to see these links, and say, “thank you”, for posting them. What snowed me under was learning that HB325, the constitutional amendment to make Alabama the 25th state with an Initiative and Referendum process for our voters would be brought up tomorrow, March 1, in the House Constitution and Elections Committee, so I have been contacting everyone I can think of and asking them to support it by contacting key legislators. Just how your readers can do that can be seen @ http://www.doctoriq.com/KeyReps.htm.

Thanks, again.

2. Jamison says:

Kathy, I was reading on Daily Kos this morning about the Congressional races and I saw this.

Alabama, 4/7. AL-01, AL-02, AL-03, AL-04, AL-06.

Two of the 7 districts have Democrats running, because they are incumbents. Where’s the Alabama Democratic party and our Democratic candidates? I thought we’d at least made some progress in District 3 in the last redistricting. What’s the hold up on rolling out people to run?

Excellent question. I know it’s a waste of time and money for a Democrat to run in my district (6). I’ll see what I can find out about district 3.

4. Jamison says:

What?? It’s not a waste of time or money. Remember every dollar we tie down in Alabama is a dollar that doesn’t make it into a race that we can actually win. Not to mention that we can’t tell people to vote for change if Republicans are the only one’s on the ballot. I’ve been researching how to run a political campaign if you think your ready to get on the ballot. I can send you all the stuff you need. :)

I’m not nearly diplomatic enough to run for office, although I’d be more than happy to support a Democratic House candidate in District 6! The problems with recruiting Dem opposition here are 1) Spencer Bachus is pretty well entrenched, and 2)this district was gerrymandered to be white and Republican just as District 7 was gerrymandered to be black and Democrat. Spencer would have to retire to lose his office, and even then his successor would almost certainly have an R after his name (and almost certainly be a “he”). Makes me want to move.

I am part of Over the Mountain Democrats, and we’re doing what we can to bring Dems out of the closet (so to speak) and change some hearts and minds, but it’s early in the game. I don’t mean to sound like I’m giving up; I just think it will take a few years to bring about even small changes here.

All of that said, we do need to run good Dems for office just to keep the possibility in people’s minds, but it’s hard to find people who are willing to work that hard knowing that they have almost no chance of winning.

So have I flip-flopped enough? ;)

6. Jamison says:

Your flip-flopping like a pro!! Sounds to me like your the person that we need to bust some heads in the District 6! Actually Stuart O’Neil is a political consultant that has been working on some theories on how to run campaigns in doomed red districts that cost the Republicans massive amounts of resources and time. Which is what we desperately need to do. We now have two unchallenged seats that the Republicans in those districts are going to be able raise money and spend their time campaigning against our candidates all over the United States, weakening everyone else. If Alabama Democrats allow the Republicans to free up more people and money to fight in the purple states it’s going to cost us seats in the general elections all over the country. Check out Stuart’s Insurgent Political Campaign site, there is some stuff in there about setting up a committee to find a candidate and tools that are public that can be used by a Democrat in a bloody red district to make some headway. He’s a great guy, will answer emails pretty quickly, if he’s not in the middle of another campaign. You can at least start working on the tools until you find someone that can actually do the running. The Over the Mountain Folks should get everything set up and start twisting people’s arms until someone says they’ll run if only to get a name on the ballot. People can vote against the Republicans if there isn’t another choice on the ballot.

7. Jamison says:

People can not vote against!!! There was a mental not there I promise. :)

I just checked and was surprised to find that there is someone running against Spencer. Warren Grayson is running as a member of the Moderate Party (never heard of it or him). I’m going to check out Stuart O’Neil’s website and pass the info on to the OTM Dems leadership. They may already be working on this, but I haven’t heard anything. Thanks for the link!

9. Jamison says:

A write in campaign?? Now I’ve seen everything. How hard is it to get on the ballot in Alabama as a non-party person?

10. Don Seibold says:

I’m not really up to speed on this, but my understanding is that Alabama has some of the toughest ballot access laws around, making it difficult, if not impossible, for anyone not in either of the two major parties to get on the ballot. I think it takes over 40.000 signatures of qualified voters on a petition to get on the ballot, and minor party candidates seldom can jump through that hoop.

11. Don Seibold says:

As a follow-up to my first response: HB325 was given unanimous approval by the C&E Committee of the Alabama House of Representatives on March 1. NOW the push is to convince the House leadership (controlled chiefly by Speaker of the House, Rep. Seth Hammett and his cohort Rep. Ken Guin, Chairman of the Rules Committee) to expeditiously put the bill on the calendar for debate on the floor of the house. Only sufficient pressure applied by concerned voters through contacting them will convince them to do that. At the same time, voters should be contacting as many other members of both the House and the Senate (where the companion bill, HB242 was introduced) and telling them all that if they want our vote in June and November, we want these bills passed, and a constitutional amendment referendum on I&R placed on the November ballot. Two bloggers who discuss Alabama government and politics, Poser @ http://www.betweenthelinks.com/ and Jen @ http://almoderate.blogspot.com/ have taken up this issue recently. Hopefully others will follow their lead.

12. Kasara says:

Furrealz? That’s marvouelsly good to know.