South Dakota Passes Abortion Ban…

…with no exceptions for the health of the mother or for victims of rape or incest — and with the express purpose of provoking a court challenge. Does the South Dakota legislature really want to force a 12-year-old whose dad or uncle couldn’t keep it in his pants to have a baby? Does it want a severely diabetic woman who has a birth control failure to put her life at risk? Apparently so. In an ideal world, we might not need access to abortion services. But in an ideal world, we’d have comprehensive sex education, easy access to safe and reliable birth control, no diseases or conditions that threaten the life or health of a pregnant woman, no rapists and no child molesters, and no fetal death or catastrophic damage. But we don’t live in that world.

Apparently, the South Dakota legislature doesn’t care. It wants a fight. W has the Supreme Court his supporters have always wanted, and they’re banking on overturning Roe v. Wade. Can Griswold be far behind? After all, a lot of the wingnuts consider contraception to be a form of abortion. We may end up with a government that insists on wives having sex with their husbands whenever they ovulate. Otherwise, they’re aborting a potential life, right?

I pray that none of my daughters will ever be in need of abortion services. I’ll do my best to teach them how to protect themselves. Meanwhile, I guess I’d better start stockpiling condoms and store away a couple of morning-after pills before they disappear from the pharmacy shelves.

14 Responses to “South Dakota Passes Abortion Ban…”

1. KathyF says:

Any chance the SD Supreme Court will throw this out? It seems likely they would.

2. Songbird says:

As I read about this yesterday, I found it hard to believe I was reading actual news. It’s utterly heartless. Have these legislators never known a woman, or a couple, in a heart-wrenching situation? It’s horrifying.

3. anna says:

It boggles my mind why other people care what a woman does with her own body. I cannot comprehend the idea. This is what happens because men are the majority in government, more women have to take part in order to protect their rights AND their bodies.

4. Blue Gal says:

You can’t even get a decent cup of coffee in South Dakota. I certainly wouldn’t go there for an abortion. If I lived in SD, I’d move right after I spit on the State House. Buncha a-holes. Sorry, I’m just really PISSED OFF right at this moment.

5. Welcome to South Dakota, bring your own coathanger….

“If Jenna or not-Jenna got knocked up at some random gang-bang, how long would it take James Baker to find a discreet MD to break out the Dremel tool and Hoover vac, law or no law?”

I’d be shocked if it took more than one quick phone call.

7. Songbird says:

I have often said similar things about the twins. Nothing substantive will ever change for the rich and the privileged.

8. Renee says:

I am thoroughly disgusted. Pure insanity.

9. Zach says:

OMG I do NOT want to think about my lil cousins even in a situation where they might need an abortion. Make sure they know that if a boy EVER pisses them off that big brother Zach will be there. I have no illusions that this law is’nt a strategic move to force the new “conservacourt” to throw out Roe v. Wade. The clock is ticking…. soon it will be against the law for me to even exist as a gay man… i wish i could find some of that eternal optimism i used to have.

“La Vie Boheme!” – Rent

10. Bottom Line says:

Bottom line is…. whether or not you agree with abortion you have to concede that Roe v. Wade is based on flimsy cases and is basically bad from a legal standpoint. The decision SHOULD be left to the states. Last time I checked you can hop in your car and drive to another state and get your much needed abortion. Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn’t this country designed to have a weak federal government?

Well, yeah, I guess you can hop in your car and drive to another state for an abortion if you have a reliable vehicle and money for gas and an employer who will allow you the time off to take what might be two trips (since some states require a waiting period between counseling and the procedure) and you live in a state that borders on another state that permits abortion or at least borders on a state that borders on a state…

I think you get my drift. Access to safe, legal abortion is already restricted for most women in this country. It certainly won’t become safer or more readily available if states are permitted to outlaw it entirely.

12. Bottom Line says:

Yes, you are correct Kathy, I guess it should be the federal government’s job to account for every possible permutation of issues that may arise with an individual’s “right” to abortion. After all the federal government should control everything. Things work perfectly when the federal government gets involved. Or maybe as I said in my first posting, we should leave it up to the states to figure out. Why should someone in South Dakota have to listen to someone in Alabama or any other state try to micromanage and “protect” their rights from half way across the country? Didn’t y’all try to secede for the whole “state rights thing” a few years back? (I apologize for the overuse of quotation marks, but I think you get my drift.)

13. Bunnie says:

I think it’s time we complain to the DNC about Democrats who don’t support a woman’s right to choose. For instance, the six senators in South Dakota who voted to ban all abortions, even for rape and incest and health reasons. It was a Democrat who introduced the bill in the first place!

Also, serious consideration needs to be given as to whether you send money to the DNC. Remember money to the DNC is given to the state parties to support candidates such as these six senators and the Democratic senator in Mississippi who just introduced legislation to ban abortion. Your money would be better spent going to a candidate directly that you know supports the right to choose.

The Democratic Party takes us for granted because they say we have no place to go…as I just heard from a DNC staffer. It is time the Democrats who do no support abortion rights be punished. It is time for them to leave the party.

Go to their website and fire off a letter…

or better yet, pick up the phone and call them (be prepared to wait….)

202-863-8000

Call South Dakota Democratic Party

605-224-1750

write South Dakota Democratic Party
    democrats@sddp.org

Thanks, Bunnie. Good information.