Brokeback Mountain — Finally

I know I’m a little behind the times here, but scheduling “grown-up” movies is hard with two kids. My friend Renee and I finally saw Brokeback Mountain this afternoon. We really need to stop going to movies together; the last two we saw were Hotel Rwanda and Crash, and I’ve barely recovered from them. Both are incredible movies, powerful and wrenching, and they require large numbers of Kleenex.

If you’re avoiding Brokeback Mountain because it’s a cowboy movie, or if you’re avoiding it because it’s a gay movie (I know there are plenty of progressive straight guys who are hesitant), just let me say DON’T. This movie is amazing, beautiful, heartbreaking. It is even better than I expected. The story is complex and tragic, and the acting is stellar. If Heath Ledger doesn’t win an Oscar, I’ll be shocked. Go see it — and be sure to see it on the big screen; the scenery is breathtaking.

9 Responses to “Brokeback Mountain — Finally”

1. wanda says:

I don’t think Ledger is going to get the Oscar. Not that he doesn’t deserve it, but it’s looking like Hoffman is a shoo-in for best actor.
    I wasn’t really interested in seeing Brokeback Mountain, because of the whole cowboy thing. I’ve had about all I can take of ‘cowboys’ these days. Then again, the guys aren’t really ‘cow’boys are they. Their actually sheep herders. Any old west (or new for that matter) will tell there’s a big difference in the two. At least in the mind of the ‘cow’boys anyway!

2. Blue Gal says:

Loved the scenery, loved the sheep (I’m a knitter), loved the movie. Did not need as much kleenex as some people, just a little. One thing that gets overlooked with all the “controversy” is how real the straight marriages are in this movie. The wives and the stresses these people go through are very believeable. Being poor, rural, with kids really sucks, and you can see that in Heath Ledger’s marriage. It has nothing to do with his “gay” relationship on the side, it has everything to do with financial pressures and the emptiness of life in Wyoming. I think if that part of the movie had not worked so well this movie would not have worked, either.

We do have an embarrassment of riches in the best actor category this year. Hoffman is fab, but so is David Strathairn in Good Night and Good Luck. But my money is on Heath Ledger. I suspect Hollywood is going to take this opportunity to send a condescending liberal message to middle America after the Reddi-whipping of the Christ movie. I predict a Brokeback sweep.

I still haven’t seen Capote or Good Night and Good Luck — it’s that difficulty with scheduling “grown up” movies thing — but I’m going to the video store today to see if I can rent them yet. I’ve heard lots of buzz for Philip Seymour Hoffman, and I’d like to see his performance. I waas just blown away with Heath Ledger’s transformation from a boy to a middle-aged man.

4. Your brother inlaw says:

I’m glad you got to see the movie. I had 2 people request lunch with me to discuss it. One of their comments was, that for some viewers, this may reinforce the issue that being gay is a choice. I did not see that. Fear made a choice for Ennis (Heath Ledger). His fear that he and Jack would be killed if they followed their hearts and lived together as a couple. Please remember that these characters were not well educated and the year was 1963. Thanks to a lot of education, acceptance, and tolerance things are better now, not perfect, and we all have a long way to go. With that said, many gay people are still afraid to live as the person they are.
    This is an amazing love story. These were two people so deeply in love. I hope everyone can get past the crude jokes making the talk shows and go see the movie. Then show some tolerance for others.

Brother-in-law, you are so right. It is a beautiful story, and I hope it will open some minds and hearts to the difficulties that gay people still face in living openly.

6. Renee says:

The pain in this movie was just overwhelming! The main characters’ pain of shoving their love into some remote, inaccessible place or trying to find love elsewhere just leaps out of the screen. The pain of their wives is just as palpable. Ennis’ wife’s pain in so many ways is so tangible. (see Blue Gal’s comment!) I loved Jack’s wife’s controlled telling of Jack’s ‘story.’ There is so much pain in the second half of the movie. I really felt their joy and love for each other because of the contrast to this crushing, visceral ache to be who they were. Since this is the only adult movie I’ll probably see for 6 months or so, I’m voting for Heath if the Academy sends me a ballot.

It’s NOT a cowboy movie, whatever that is. It’s just a beautiful story set in a beautiful place with truly believable characters.

7. Ken says:

I just wanted to say that Brokeback is the most beautiful movie/story I have ever heard of. It is the struggle that two people wanted to be together so bad but can’t because of the way our society was and still is to this day. Things need to change in the world so people can be with there true love and not worry about anything. As a straight man I am telling all the straight people out there-DON’T BE SCARED OF THIS MOVIE!!! It truely is the best movie I have ever seen, and it better win all the ocars it is nominated for!!!!

8. Paul says:

I liked Brokeback Mountain so much and Heath Ledger I just downloaded Heath Ledger mobile wallpapers for my mobile or cell phone.

9. Harold says:

BBM – A beautiful movie and achingly sad. Seeing Brokeback will not turn a straight man gay, but it may help him acknowledge, even celebrate, his affection for other men. It’s okay, guys.